Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    electronictofu
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’ve had my Pi for a while and need some help with MAME. I finally sourced 0.375B roms which is the correct type from what I read? If that’s so, w
    Where might someone find the correct Bios file?
    Also, does the Bios file go in each folder for each rom/ do they stay zipped?

Kind of newbie stuff Im sure, but I’ve tried so many methods and failed.

labelwhore
    Participant

it’s neogeo.zip and should be included with the roms. It goes in the rom folder, unlike with other emulators. Your roms need to stay zipped (the bios too).

To ensure you have he correct roms, walk through this guide:

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Managing-ROMs

IMO it’s best to start with the latest rom set you can find (it helps to also have the rollback romset that matches the new set as well) and simply rebuild them to the version you need using that guide. You’ll always have the correct set that way. If you have both the roms and the rollback roms, you can build any version of MAME roms using clrmamepro.

I’ve done tons and tons of testing of MAME. by far the best one to use is lr-mame2003 with mame version .106 roms. You’ll get the largest number of roms to work that way.

electronictofu
    Participant

Thanks this will help a lot!
    Is there a section on that link for the MAME/ Neogeo BIOS file? That’s not the same as the DAT files I take it?

Irmame2003 is a peticular emulator, instead of MAME4all?
    Maybe I’ll look into the .106 roms.

herbfargus
    labelwhore
    Participant

The BIOS will come with the roms.

That’s right lr-mame2003 is one of the other options for mame. Just as an FYI, I had the easiest time finding the .155 rollback roms, rather than grabbing the very latest set, I looked for the latest rollback set I could find first, then looked for the working rom set to match it.

electronictofu
    Participant

Hmmm, ok cool. For now since I found a rompack for 0.375B I’ll give those a shot. I tried loading them from my iMac onto my USB flash card, then onto the Pi, I did that with SNES and NES and it all recognized and saved them over automatically, I haven’t had the same luck with MAME ROMS. I tried the same method as SNES last night on the 0.375B… nothin’ errrr.

labelwhore
    Participant

I’ve never really played with loading roms that way, so I can’t help there. I’ve just been using Filezilla and transferring roms via SSH.

electronictofu
    Participant

Thanks, I have wifi for my Pi but haven’t set it up yet. Could I just pull the miniSD card out of the Pi, put it in my Mac and load the files into the rom folder that way? Just do it manually?

dankcushions
    Participant

[quote=114417]
    I’ve done tons and tons of testing of MAME. by far the best one to use is lr-mame2003 with mame version .106 roms. You’ll get the largest number of roms to work that way.
    [/quote]

don’t you mean mame version .78 roms? that’s the romset that lr-mame2003 needs. i agree with you it’s the best mame emulator.

@electronictofu

if you’re using mame set 0.375b5, you need to use lr-imame4all or mame4all-pi – these 2 systems work with that romset. mame2003 needs a later one so you’ll have to rebuild the set, or (better) get a new 0.78 set.

labelwhore
    Participant

Huh, that IS what the wiki says, but I swear I have version .106 roms working flawlessly in lr-mame2003. Perhaps I just have them labeled incorrectly.

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=114458]Thanks, I have wifi for my Pi but haven’t set it up yet. Could I just pull the miniSD card out of the Pi, put it in my Mac and load the files into the rom folder that way? Just do it manually?

[/quote]
    You’ll have to use either SSH or transfer the roms via USB. It’s easy enough to use SSH, honestly.

dankcushions
    Participant

well, mame2003 is definitely for .78, but unless you ran one of the games that had been added/changed between .78 and .106 maybe you wouldn’t notice!

labelwhore
    Participant

They all work for me, so I must have the right version. I always rebuild my mame roms before I load them onto the pi, so I’m going with my folders are labeled wrong. lol

sorry for any misdirection.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.