Viewing 18 posts - 71 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have had an error when I go to compile. The log file is attached. Any help appreciated.

zigurana
    Participant

Hey, if you could describe the steps youve taken, I can try to replicate the issue. Are you using Gizmo98’s install script?

zigurana
    Participant

Hey,
    To close this off, I’ve tried to distill this thread into a wiki page:
    https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Child-friendly-EmulationStation

Regarding the uptake of this branch of ES into the RetroPie one, it is not going to happen anytime soon. This is completely understandable. The RetroPie core-team is very small and has to juggle a lot of balls to keep everything up to date.

The difference between the stock ES and this branch is rather large, with many small changes in a lot of files. Consequently, when any update occurs in the original ES branch (upstream), this might impact this branch as well. Therefore, the risk of a high maintenance burden when this branch would be fully incorporated was deemed too high.
    Kid Mode ES will remain in the experimental packages menu, where it is available for all users who which to test it out.

For the foreseeable future this ES version will be maintained by me, merging in all relevant changes when they occur (or when someone alerts me to it).

dankcushions
    Participant

Have you seen https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStation/issues/563 ? it looks like a bunch of other ES users have created a fork for current developments. i think there’s already some crossover with what you’ve done in yours, but there’s a lot of active development and testing on it, so it seems like a combo of the two would be THE best ES stream, and i hope eventually integrated into retropie, or back into ES if Aloshi gets back on it.

newparadise
    Participant

Ever figure this out? I ran it, restarted, also did the directions about running Kiosk based on regular install and can’t get it up.

newparadise
    Participant

“then select “Experimental packages” -> “emulationstation-kids””
    I am running through Putty, but how do you do this? I run the wget without any errors, says saved, then nothing.

zigurana
    Participant

Sorry, I have not yet made the time to install via the script on a fresh card. Family-life keeps interfering with my personal-life, if you know what I mean.
    I have 3.6 already downloaded though, so any day now.
    Some more questions: Are you running the retropie-setup script via Putty while ES is running? That will probably not work nicely.
    Which version of RetroPie are you using?
    When I Google your error messages, it looks like the c compiler itself cannot be found. How are you calling make?

InsecureSpike
    Participant

guys whats the easiest way to test this out?

robertybob
    Participant

It’s in the experimental menu now?

InsecureSpike
    Participant

that’s what I thought, but I can’t see it?
    I see all the new ports added, tho

elliscnck
    Participant

Hello,

I started to develop my own parental-controls when I found this the other day. I was able to compile and install your build the only thing I change was I made all Roms kid friendly from the start. I attempted to scrape the meta-data for the games, I found that this functionality didn’t work, is this true, or did I not compile the correct version of your current code?

Also your modification for the “UIMode_passkey” the only file impacted are?:

..\es-core\src\Window.cpp
    ..\es-core\src\Window.h
    ..\es-core\src\Settings.cpp
    ..\es-core\src\Settings.h

zigurana
    Participant

[quote=119829]that’s what I thought, but I can’t see it?

[/quote]

Hi, yeah that’s my fault. I had to update my github branch to incorporate the latest changes from the RetroPie ES version. That took a little longer than expected. Its done now, so the latest features with regard to the runcommand and Direct Launch items on the system select screen are compatible.

Jools has been so good as to hold a module for this in preparation, while I was doing the merge.I hope that it will be available soon.

zigurana
    Participant

[quote=119841]Hello,
    the only thing I change was I made all Roms kid friendly from the start.
    [/quote]
    Hi! Glad you found it usefull! If you want to enable the kid tag, I would suggest a simple find&replace on the gamelist.xml files.

[quote=119841]
    I attempted to scrape the meta-data for the games, I found that this functionality didn’t work, is this true, or did I not compile the correct version of your current code?
    [/quote]
    There is currently no automatic scraping for the new metadata items favorites, hidden or kid-friendly. The existing scrapers are completely ignorant of these tags as well and will probably ommit them while rewriting the xml files.

[quote=119841]
    Also your modification for the “UIMode_passkey” the only file impacted are?:

..\es-core\src\Window.cpp
    ..\es-core\src\Window.h
    ..\es-core\src\Settings.cpp
    ..\es-core\src\Settings.h

[/quote]
    Those are the main ones yes. I suggest you have a look at the repository, that will enable you to compare with other branches, such as the RetroPie one. (https://github.com/zigurana/EmulationStation/tree/UI_modes_Kiosk_Kid_Full)

Btw: this is the correct adres for the wiki:https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Child-friendly-EmulationStation

InsecureSpike
    Participant

[quote=119996]

that’s what I thought, but I can’t see it?

Hi, yeah that’s my fault. I had to update my github branch to incorporate the latest changes from the RetroPie ES version. That took a little longer than expected. Its done now, so the latest features with regard to the runcommand and Direct Launch items on the system select screen are compatible.

Jools has been so good as to hold a module for this in preparation, while I was doing the merge.I hope that it will be available soon.

[/quote]

awesome, i just wanna make a kid friendly version of my theme

zigurana
    Participant

And its in! (Github – commit)

Thanks Jools!

Updating the retropie-setup script should make it visible again in the experimental section.

elliscnck
    Participant

Hello,

Is the a way of disabling the runcommand window when you choose between the mode “FULL” vs “Kid”?

-Jim

LodanZark
    Participant

Pressing Start or Select right in moment of leaving a game might cause a glitch the emulationstation interface.

neighbourhoodnerd
    Participant

Just wanted to say I really appreciate your work. I’m setting up my Raspberry Pi(s) for the same reason you are – a retro gaming museum :)

You may have covered this already but I thought I’d mention it just in case.
    For this project you’ll definitely want to disable any emulator commands that open menus (eg the command to launch LR-Config in Retroarch emulators). I’m also making sure this isn’t needed by programming in savestate and loadstate commands.

I want the kids to be able to play the Final Fantasy series when they’re older, including the PSX classics which are multi-disk systems. I found a good guide on this forum for combining and compressing these titles into one image and then adding a disk-swap command.

Viewing 18 posts - 71 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.