Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,

as i am severely struggling to configure my ps3 controllers, even getting them to work wired, i am now looking for an image which i could use.

Is that possible?

I have bt-dongles :
    Aukru® USB nano Bluetooth-Adapter V4.0 ,Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter mit LED
    Inateck Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter mit LED

Both of them work without problems wirelessly with my OpenEmu on OSX…

Can maybe someone help me? I spend hours trying, resetting images etc… but nothing worked. Obviously i could just plug my mac to the tv and enjoy, but thats would be a solution which i would hate :D

tendonut
    Participant

It doesn’t work out-of-the-box. In the /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_setup.sh script, you have to tell it to install the PS3 controller driver. The “Pair PS3 Controller” script though, always seems to fail. Floob made a good video about it.

I also went through this and was able to get it working my own way.

After running the “Install PS3 controller driver” script, do the following:

1.) Make sure the PS3 controller is still plugged in. The lights should all be flashing.

2.) Run the sixpair utility
    sudo /opt/retropie/supplementary/ps3controller/sixpair
    This should Make sure the controller (second MAC address) is paired to the MAC address of the Bluetooth dongle (first MAC address)

3.) Add the sixad daemon to the startup sequence
    sudo sixad --boot-yes

4.) Unplug the controller, then reboot the system. When the system is back online, Turn on the PS3 controller using the PS button and it should pair up.

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=96592]
    3.) Add the sixad daemon to the startup sequence
    sudo sixad --boot-yes

Great idea! I’ve been having intermittent PS3 controller issues as well, and this may solve that problem, though I was under this impression that the sixad daemon was already configured by the “Install PS3 controller driver” script. I’d say 2 out of 3 times on boot, the PS3 controllers don’t properly connect to the bluetooth dongle. Because of this I tend to just leave the Pi on with the controllers sync’ed and plugged into an external power source to keep the batteries from dying, though probably not a great long term solution.

I’ll try this when I get home.

To further respond to the OP, an image of this sort isn’t possible (yet) because each bluetooth dongle and each PS3 controller has their own unique HW address which have to be linked in some way. There is probably a way to make the setup more streamlined, but if you’re looking for something that just works out of the box, I don’t think anything exists right now.

miom12345
    Participant

Very nice, thx!

But basically what I´m hearing is, that even when it works the first time, i could encounter problems as soon as i restart the pi isnt it? And whats with 2 controllers? Will it even get harder to make them work long term?

I really would love to build myself a retro SNES-Station, I even have the SNES hardware in which i wanted to stick the Pi, but if its that huge of a deal, maybe i´ll just stick to plugging my mac the the hdmi cable and having a well working emulation machine.. :(

What do you think? Will the pi work stable once it works with the 2 controllers?

Thx!

gizmo98
    Participant

Dear fellows,

If you use RP3 B2 please check out the reworked ps3 module: https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/ps3-controller-on-bluetooth-anyway-to-save-the-emulation-station-settings/#post-96127

If a bluetooth dongle is present and you connect a ps3 controller over USB the controller will be paired instantly. Remove USB cable from PS3 controller, press PS button and have fun.

Open issues:
    -Bluetooth dongle + wired PS3 controller is not possible at the same time. Remove bluetooth dongle to get wired connection working.

miom12345
    Participant

Ok very nice!

I quote you from the other thread:

[quote=96127]As i have written in some other thread please setup your keyboard as a emulationstation input device and the message should not pop up anymore.

The “Can’t register ps3 controller. Buttons are to sensitive. ” issue should be resolved now. If you use the newest ps3 driver module sbuttons (sensitive buttons) option is disabled.

How to update:
    1. Close emulationstation with two F4 key presses.
    2. Type:

cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo git pull
    sudo ./retropie_packages.sh ps3controller

[/quote]

At which point, do I have to execute that command when my OS is at the point, that nothing concerning the controllers is configured, but stuff like expand filesystem and internationalism options are already configured?

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=96767]Very nice, thx!

But basically what I´m hearing is, that even when it works the first time, i could encounter problems as soon as i restart the pi isnt it? And whats with 2 controllers? Will it even get harder to make them work long term?

I really would love to build myself a retro SNES-Station, I even have the SNES hardware in which i wanted to stick the Pi, but if its that huge of a deal, maybe i´ll just stick to plugging my mac the the hdmi cable and having a well working emulation machine.. :(

What do you think? Will the pi work stable once it works with the 2 controllers?

Thx!

[/quote]

I didn’t have any issues pairing a second controller. Just go through the steps to pair the first one, once you get that down, then it’s a matter of simply plugging in the second controller, waiting until the LEDs flash, unplugging it and pressing the PS button to sync it.

The only issue I ran into was that both controllers had the P1 led lit, so I trimmed up a post-it note and labeled which controller was which. I just thought that’s the way it had to be. It wasn’t until I setup a second RetroPie for my brother that I saw the LEDs light up correctly, P1 for the first controller and P2 for the second.

Not sure what happened, but I’ve since got the LEDs to behave correctly on both systems!

I also found another thread that tendonut started, to power off the controllers when not in use. You just need to hold down the PS button for 10 seconds or so until the controller powers off. So that’ll definitely help in the future if you leave your Pi powered on 24/7 like I do.

Hope you get your controllers working. You’re almost there! Another thought could be your Bluetooth dongle but if the PS3 controller driver script detected it then you should be fine. I tried 3 different ones before I settled on the Iogear GBU521, which worked perfectly.

Cheers!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.