Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project How to hot-swap between two different controllers???

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sewersurfer
    Participant

Hello,

I basically have two different types of controllers: 2 SNES-USBs and 2 Xbox 360 (one of them being a SF4 Arcade Pad for the 360).

Now, what I wanna do is, to set up my system in some way so that I can simply unplug the 360 controller and use the SNES controller instead (and vice versa) whitout any hassle. I was already able to change the retroarch.cfg file so that when I swap controllers during play it will continue to take directional inputs and the main game buttons (I did this by changing the axis for the directional inputs).

The problem that remains though is, that between the two types of controllers (Xbox vs SNES) the buttons do not correspond. For instance start/select are no. 6 and 7 on Xbox but 8 and 9 on SNES. That way I can not use the button number for both controllers… Is there any way to change that/to synch the controllers so that I can use them both, effortlessly?

The other problem is that in Emulationstation it will only recognize the Xbox controller but not the SNES controller. Any way to change that?

thanks for any hints

trimmtrabb
    Participant

You could have two copies of retroarch.cfg but rename one retroarchb.cfg and ftp in and rename when needed.

Also you could add seperate entries in es_systems.cfg for the emulators so you have two pages for the same system but each loads a seperate retroarch.cfg Messy but saves having to rename files.

Regarding the dual controls for Emulation Station this thread may help you: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71858&p=518721

sewersurfer
    Participant

For ES it worked out perfectly, big step forward. Thanks!

Is there no similar solution for the emulators themselves? I wasn´t able to figure out anything useful in the retroarch.cfg file.

Edit: I just figured out that the button mapping for the Xbox360 controller VS the SNES-USB controller go hand in hand for the first 6 buttons (0-5) but are different for the Start and Select buttons (6 and 7 on Xbox, 8 and 9 on SNES).

This means that I have no problem swapping controllers and actually playing a game (using the “normal” buttons and d-pad), but I am unable to pause a game and, what´s more, exit out of an emulator as I have deticated the Start+Select combo to get back to ES.
    Now, is there ANY WAY to set up the retroarch.cfg file so that it picks up, for instance, EITHER button “6” (=Select on Xbox) OR button “8” (=Select on SNES) as the “input_player1_select_btn”?
    I tried it myself but I couldn´t figure out how this can be done…

thank you

sewersurfer
    Participant

No way to do this?

trimmtrabb
    Participant

You could try creating two player one controls in retroarch.cfg with one using input_player1_joypad_index = “0″ and the other input_player1_joypad_index = “1″ No idea if they are going to conflict though.

Then you need to get one of the pads to be mapped as /dev/input/js1 instead of js0. After a quick search on Google all I could find was this: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.xboxdrv/3

Not sure if it’s possible to do but good luck :-)

Mutex
    Participant

What about overwriting the button layouts in the system specific retroarch.cfg?

trimmtrabb
    Participant

↑↑ good idea if that’s why you’re swapping the pads

sewersurfer
    Participant

[quote=6713]What about overwriting the button layouts in the system specific retroarch.cfg?[/quote]

Damn, that was such an obvious solution, but it simply never crossed my mind. Works just fine now :)

thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.