Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! How do you upgrade RetroPie?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I ask this because I went into RetroPie set up and chose the first option (which was to install binaries). It didn’t seem to mess anything up and installed more up to date versions of the emulators.

Is this the official way to upgrade RetroPie?

I’d also like to ask, how to update emulation station too? Is it done via the setup script?

herbfargus

I usually do the full binary install, or if there are just a few emulators to update I do that individually. And with any update its good to have a backup just in case the updates don’t go according to plan/mess up configs. Its really personal preference. Other times I’ll just flash a new SD image.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for letting me know.

Regards

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK so, just to confirm if I do a full binary install in the retro-pie set up, will this update retropie 3 from beta 2 to beta 3?

herbfargus

essentially as far as I understand it. (backups are definitely a good idea for this one as the new controller configuration has some bugs that need to be sorted out still)

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, is there a way to find out the build of retro pie from the command line?

The reason I ask is that the new beta 3 says that the controller settings you set up at the start in emulation station carries across to the emulators but I have found that the neo geo one is still as I set it up.

Is it a case that they only carry across if the emulators have not been set up before i.e. is it probably best that I start with a fresh SD card?

herbfargus

Yes configs can get buggered up with new builds if you already have some in place, with this latest beta its probably best to start from a fresh SD image. As far as finding out the version you have from command line there is no method I know of as there are constant rolling updates and bug fixes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK. I will start with a fresh image.

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.