Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am requesting details on how to hide unused/unwanted systems in emulation station. I understand the following – “You can hide unused systems by either removing the relevant roms in the system folder” – but am unsure of how to access the system folders.

I greatly appreciate any help.

(I am using a Pi2 and Retropie 3.5)

labelwhore
    Participant

connect to the pi via SSH and all will reveal itself. LOL

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/ssh/

I use Filezilla for this.

ghost-note
    Participant

Great, thanks. Is there also a way to access the system folders directly on the pi itself (without a remote setup)?

herbfargus

There’s a built in file manager and if you’re comfortable with the terminal you can do it from that if you have a keyboard attached. It’s not that difficult with a little bit of googling.

labelwhore
    Participant

If you install lxde there is. Otherwise no. use Herb’s suggestion.

But if it’s just that you’re unfamiliar with SSH, it’s really not difficult to setup or use.

ghost-note
    Participant

OK, thanks for the advice. I’ll give it a go. I mainly want to reduce the number of visible systems and associated files so I can experiment with installing themes. I noticed the recommendations against using themes with more than 10 systems.

herbfargus

Well it depends on the theme you are using. The default theme has no problems with all of the systems running on it. It’s only when you use other themes that have unique wallpapers that the system amount causes an issue.

ghost-note
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification there.

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=118144]OK, thanks for the advice. I’ll give it a go. I mainly want to reduce the number of visible systems and associated files so I can experiment with installing themes. I noticed the recommendations against using themes with more than 10 systems.

[/quote]
    idk where that advice came from, but I think it’s really outdated. I have 55 systems with no issues with the Pixel theme.

ghost-note
    Participant

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/themes

White Screen of Death
    There is a fundamental bug with EmulationStation where unique background images are not loaded dynamically so if you have more than ~10 systems you will start to get a white screen of death and nothing will show up.

herbfargus

Well that’s the pixel theme ;) rookervik did a really good job of optimising that. try tronkyfran and you’ll see what I’m talking about. It’s a fundamental issue with emulationstation we have had to work around that I doubt will be fixed anytime soon.

labelwhore
    Participant

The Carbon theme will allow a lot more than 10 also. I only started running into issues with it at around 50 emulators.

ghost-note
    Participant

Happy to report that I had success accessing the Pi (or at least connecting to it) using Terminal. For those other new users like myself following this post I wanted to mention that you will need the password for your Pi when you do this – from what I have read, this is almost always “raspberry” without the quotation marks.

I do have a follow-up question, going back to my original post, once I am presented with pi@retropie:~ $ I am unfamiliar with what to type in next to access the system folders.

Thanks again!

labelwhore
    Participant

If you use filezilla to connect figuring all this out is much easier, IMO, because you can see the folder structure.

That being said, the command line is something you should learn how to use. So take a look at this:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2598082/linux/linux-linux-command-line-cheat-sheet.html

ghost-note
    Participant

Thanks for the cheat sheet, I will try out both approaches.

herbfargus
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.