Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Can somebody please just break this down for me Barney the Dinosaur style? Where do I put the bios? Where do I put the bin/cue files? Is there anything else I need to know?

karloss
    Participant

Bios files

Create a directory called “bios” under /home/pi/RetroPie:

mkdir /home/pi/RetroPie/bios

Add the following line to retroarch.cfg

/home/pi/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

system_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/bios

system filename directory
    Neo Geo neogeo.zip /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/neogeo
    PC Engine syscard3.pce /home/pi/RetroPie/bios
    Playstation scph7502.bin /home/pi/RetroPie/bios
    Mega CD (EU) eu_mcd1_9210.bin /home/pi/RetroPie/bios
    Mega CD (JP) jp_mcd1_9112.bin /home/pi/RetroPie/bios
    Mega CD (USA) us_scd1_9210.bin /home/pi/RetroPie/bios

SegaCD

You need to edit your es_systems file to include .bin, so under the MegaDrive section add – (you could make a separate “page” if you wanted to)

EXTENSION=.smd .SMD .bin .BIN .gen .GEN

I would check my overclocking thread for the best settings to get the best playback.

rejecticon
    Participant

Thank you! I got Sega CD to work, but the Turbo CD games just go to a black screen and then go back to emulation station (and I edited the es_systems.cfg and put the syscard3.pce in the bios folder). I just put the bin/iso/cue files in the PC Engine rom folder. What am I missing here?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the informations :)

Sonic CD is now playable on my pi.

Is it a normal issue that intro video and stage music doesnt play ?

Thanks in advance :)

rejecticon
    Participant

initmaster, are you using bin/cue or iso/cue files? I don’t think it’ll work with files that keep the music separate in mp3 or wav files. And I moved my bin files to a new rom folder and accidentally didn’t move the cue files along and had sound problems, so make sure you have both files in the same folder. All music and sound works fine on my Sonic CD.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok ! It works fine with the .cue !

Thanks a lot !

rejecticon
    Participant

Now I’m kind of curious… Has anybody gotten Retropie to work with Turbo CD games? I haven’t seen proof that anybody has. If you have, what did you do?

Mutex
    Participant

[quote=6539]Now I’m kind of curious… Has anybody gotten Retropie to work with Turbo CD games? I haven’t seen proof that anybody has. If you have, what did you do?[/quote]

I just got the PC-Engine CDs working. I had to put the syscard3.pce into the roms folder, because the emulatorcore somehow ignores the system_directory entry in retroarch.cfg. After adding “.cue” to the EXTENSIONS in es_systems.cfg the games show up and can be played. Both .cue/.bin and .cue/.iso work.

What you have to look out for are errors in the cue files. I found some that hat the path to the iso completely in upper letters, bu since Linux is case sensitive i had to change that to the actual name of the iso-file.

rejecticon
    Participant

Yes! Thank you so much! I tried this out and, yeah, the syscard3.pce goes into the folder with your roms and you should edit the .cue in notepad and make sure that it directs to the iso or bin file letter for letter.

So thank you, Mutex and thanks again, karloss. I had a Sega Cd and (briefly) a Turbo Duo back in the day, so it’s really cool to get to play some of these great games on my TV again.

Scott

Forgive me for being a noob but am i editing the .cue file in notepad on my mac or in terminal with rasp pi connected to keyboard? I am racking my brain trying to find this retroarch.cfg file? i can’t get sega cd or psx games to work. Let me rephrase, I can’t do anything that has a bios and I am placing in rom folders with game? when i run cyberduck i can see different folders. under /home/pi/Retropie-Setup/supplementary/RetroArchConfigs i see a bunch of .cfg files but they are for controllers? where is the famous retroarch.cfg file? i am running the newest version of emulation station. am i missing something here? i thought i was pretty tech inclined until i started getting into this. i have spent all day trying to get mame,psx,gba,sega cd,fba to work. any help would be greatly appreciated, and yes i have googled everything under the sun and youtube, which has helped a little. thanks

petrockblog
    Keymaster

It would be great if someone could add these information to the wiki at https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki or (even better) create a pull request there.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

[quote=17941]Forgive me for being a noob but am i editing the .cue file in notepad on my mac or in terminal with rasp pi connected to keyboard? I am racking my brain trying to find this retroarch.cfg file? i can’t get sega cd or psx games to work. Let me rephrase, I can’t do anything that has a bios and I am placing in rom folders with game? when i run cyberduck i can see different folders. under /home/pi/Retropie-Setup/supplementary/RetroArchConfigs i see a bunch of .cfg files but they are for controllers? where is the famous retroarch.cfg file? i am running the newest version of emulation station. am i missing something here? i thought i was pretty tech inclined until i started getting into this. i have spent all day trying to get mame,psx,gba,sega cd,fba to work. any help would be greatly appreciated, and yes i have googled everything under the sun and youtube, which has helped a little. thanks[/quote]

See this topic:

You can edit retroarch.cfg in terminal or SSH in (logged in as user pi)

sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

amo

Hey,
    I checked everything mentioned above but my Sega-CD games are still not working. The emulator starts and just keeps checking CD.
    I looked into the systems.cfg (surprisingly not placed in /home/pi/.emulationstation but in /etc/emulationstation) but everythings seems to be fine. The format of my ROMs is in the list and I didn’t need to add .bin or .iso.
    Do you have an idea of what could be the problem?
    I testet it with two different games, but both lead to the same problem.

spanner
    Participant

Hi all..

Yes Sega Mega CD games with Wav/mp3 don’t work (no music)so I had to covert them to bin and they work fine,all you have to do is copy the files (iso/bin and wav/mp3 to a cdrw disc,if it don’t have a cue file use Sega Cue maker for windows.Then copy it back to a bin image file using ImgBurn,I am on Linux so I used a Virtual Machine Windows 7 to do it..

Hope this helps.

proxycell
    Participant

@spanner – thats a very interesting way to get disc games working with the wav/mp3 files…. would you happen to know of a way to get it to work without using any physical media?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Did this ever get figured out? I have .bin files that work fine but have no music at all. Minus sound effects and the occasional track, there’s no music what so ever. I can’t figure out how to get it to work. I have the Segacuemaker, but its not really helping anything. The emulator in retropie doesn’t seem able to read .iso’s. Only .bin’s for Sega CD games.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i just received my raspberry pi 2 and loaded it up with all kinds of fun and the final cherry on top i need to have working is the PC ENGINE CDs. i followed everything i found here and still no go. the games just don’t show up in the list. all of the Hu Cards are there, even the system card, but bin cue and iso cue files don’t show up in the menu. i added the .cue .CUE .bin .BIN .iso .ISO to the es_systems.cfg file, but nothing, im going bonkers! im using retropie v2.6.0-rpi2 i don’t know if there have been some changes since this thread started, but i have to be missing something basic here, i would be grateful for any help. thanks in advance.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i now know what the problem is, but i can’t get it to work so i want to share my issue and maybe someone might be able to help me…
    i am trying to edit the “es_systems.cfg” file in the:
    “/etc/emulationstation” folder. i make my changes and when i save it and try to transfer it tells me it cant transfer file WTF!?!?! i tried editing from filezilla i have tried to edit in word and notepad and copy over it and nothing works. i cant transfer anything to this folder at all period. i was hoping i could just open it up using the pi, but i tried startx and that doesn’t seem to work in this build.
    i am so close i can taste it but i can’t get this last hurdle cleared. PLEASE HELP, i am about to fling this thing across the room.

Anonymous
    Inactive

ok, so i was able to edit the config file by going in “old school” throught the command line or whatever its called, but only one game worked! yay! lucky for me it was Castlevania so that was fun. the problem im having now is the cue file on just about everything else i have. i transfer the bin cue or iso cue files over and almost all of the cue files end up blank once they hit the pi. i am assuming it is the text format that the cue file is in, if this is the case what is the format it is looking for or does someone think its something else?

shadowmoses
    Participant

the cue file is a simple text file. I edited them with textedit on mac (basic text editor). The first line is always like that
    FILE "nameofgame.iso" BINARY
    you have to take care it’s the right name between the “”. If all is in lowercase, the iso ou bin file must be the same.

Anonymous
    Inactive

awesome, thanks! i did that an now Ys book I & II works, but there is still something up with the majority of the files. keep in mind all of these games work flawlessly on my computer and my phone, so in theory i would figure they should work on the pi as well. NOW, my issue is, when i load a game it goes to the system card screen to push start and when i do, it says load error. Ys was doing this at first then i grabbed another cue file from the net and it worked, but when i looked at the two, there wasn’t any real difference.

d8thstar
    Participant

i have sega CD up and running but turbo CD games are crapping out on me (they work on my PC).

can someone who has it yup please outline which files need to go where and what cfg files need to be edited?

i have my syscard3.pce in the same folder as the games, also in the bios folder. my cue files point to the correct name on the bin (exactly match the names with or without caps).

i’m at a loss of what else to try. please help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

im in the same boat as you man, i have spent hours fiddling with this and still no “set in stone” formula to get these to work. i have about 50 cd rom games working on my pc and phone using mednafen, i have gone through the cue files of all of them and copy an pasted the names of the bin or iso files perfectly and i can only get three games to load, castlevania, ys book i & ii and dynastic hero, the rest just say “load error” at the system card screen. this is a real head scratcher and i officially gave up until i can get help or stumble across something that can give more info. here is what i have so far:
    bios file in the “bios” folder named “syscard3.pce” bin/cue and iso/cue files in the “roms” folder. don’t try to use the files that have a bin cue and a ton of mp3s or wavs they won’t work. and finally i edit the names in all of my cue files to match the file name of the bin or iso file. its seems to be a hit or miss thing unless there is more to it than this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

ok, i kind of made a little break through on this. i had been using the retropie-v2.6.0-rpi2.img i think this is where my issues were coming from. i found this out because i was messing with my raspberry pi model b and i was having all kinds of success running just about everything i threw at it. so i popped the card from my b into my 2 and it seemed to run just fine. so i wiped out the image i had on my pi 2 and started from scratch with retropie-v2.6.0-rpi1.img and sure enough i was able to everything without any problems. i don’t know what’s up with the rpi2 image, but something about it seems to be causing a load error on the majority of my roms. i was thinking about downloading it again if i heard from anyone that is running that image on a pi2 without problems, as there may have been an error while downloading possibly. anyway, if your having problems running the pc engine cds on a rpi2 try the rpi1 image.

Anonymous
    Inactive

nope! i’m starting to wonder if its my sd card… it seems like having just a few games works fine, but once i add a bunch, the later games i add end up with the load error. i’m running a standard 64gb micro sd hc, i think its a pny. i have heard that 32 is the max and i have heard that 64 works just as fine as a 32… maybe someone could enlighten me on weather or not this is even a factor. either way, i now have more roms working, but still not all the ones i have working on my computer. so, no break through and im still kind of confused.

ratsflif
    Participant

I’ve been having trouble with PC Engine Cd games as well. I have Sega CD and PSX working without issue.

I added the file extensions to the emulation station config and the games show up in the list but I cannot get any combination of bin/cue iso/cue to work. I copied over some games that work great on the PC mednafen but just crap out on the PI.

shadowmoses
    Participant

i’m on retropie 3 beta and i can confirm it works great. I have 3 games: akumajo, spriggan and wings of thunder. syscard3.pce is in my rom folder and in bios folder.

Take care to not break the cue file when you edit it, like adding a space or any character.

Perhaps something related to the Character_encoding of the cue file. If it’s in UTF8 for example, maybe you have to open and save it in UTF8 in you text editor…

d8thstar
    Participant

i tried saving as UTF8 and still doesn’t work. the beginning of my cue file reads:

FILE “Beyond ShadowGate.bin” BINARY
    TRACK 01 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

my BIN file is named: Beyond ShadowGate.bin

as you can see, they are named exactly the same. from the log file i get the following:

Loading %s…

Using module: %s(%s)

CD-ROM speed: %ux

ROM: %dKiB

ROM CRC32: 0x%04x

ROM MD5: 0x%s

Savestate name: /media/TurboCD/Beyond ShadowGate.sav
    Street Fighter 2 Mapper

Loading custom palette from “%s”…

Error opening file: %m

/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh: line 554: 2432 Aborted /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-mednafen-pce/libretro.so –config /opt/retropie/configs/pcengine/retroarch.cfg “/media/TurboCD/Beyond ShadowGate.bin” –appendconfig /tmp/retroarch.cfg

it seems there is an error on line 554, i have no idea what that means. if anyone has any ideas, i would greatly appreciate it.

perhaps you could post one of your working cue files?

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for the post, but i wasn’t saying it wasn’t working, i have gotten a bunch of games to run so i understand how to get them running. the problem i am having is consistency. if i set up a bunch of games for the pi it seems that i can get about the first 8 or 10 to run, then pretty much everything after that has a load error. and im talking games that i had running on a previous card image build. so now my main question is “does the amount of games have an effect on weather a game will work or not?” or “if i use a memory card over 32gb, does this reduce the reliability of the build?” and finally “can funky things happen during transfer? i use filezilla and noticed while running a transfer, it will occasionally pause and pick up and pause until finished, can this be problematic to the game working?”

d8thstar
    Participant

i have gotten more games to work and even found a cool little utility that will create a new cue file. this fixed another handful of games. for the ones it didnt fix, it at least got me to the turbo splash screen to press run, before it would not start at all.

but pressing run resukts in the syscard tellling me there is a load error.

ratsflif
    Participant

What utility?

d8thstar
    Participant
    franktheanvil
    Participant

I’m having an issue adding file extensions to “es_systems.cfg”. I use the command “nano es_systems.cfg” and then add the extensions but when I exit and save it tells me [Error writing es_systems.cfg: Permission denied]. Does anyone know how to change my permissions for this file so I can add the extensions? Thanks in advance.

franktheanvil
    Participant

Actually I think I found it here:

Don’t have my Pi with me so I’ll have to check it out later.

simillarian
    Participant

After adding the proper extensions to es_systems.cfg (as stated above) I loaded a PC Engine CD .iso and it got hung up on a black screen. I found that it was due to naming conventions.

This naming convention did not work…
    Akumajou_Dracula_X_-_Chi_no_Rinne_(NTSC-J)_[KMCD3005].iso

This naming convention worked…
    Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rinne.iso

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.