Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wsamh
    Participant

If I buy a heatsink kit. Would the pi be able to handle if it is overclocked to 1ghz without buying a fan?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The general consensus seems to be that cooling offers no benefit.

A lot of people run into card corruption problems in turbo mode, but in the vast majority of cases, these problems likely have nothing to do with heat.

I keep my Raspberry Pi in turbo and it is quite stable (no corruption so far).

trimmtrabb
    Participant

As above, you don’t need heatsinks/fans the Pi even overclocked to 1000 will never reach high enough temps to warrant it

wsamh
    Participant

Then why does my pi freeze when I am trying to run games on turbo, But it is fine when I run at 900.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There seem to be a whole variety of reasons for crashes in turbo mode (you can search around or read the stickied thread on overclocking). A lot of people have had the same experience as you with stability at 900 but lockups at 1000.

There are a small number of reports of freezing resolved by the installation of cooling, but I really don’t know what to make of these. Experts say that there is no benefit, and I’m inclined to believe them. You can probably get some heatsinks for $4, so why not give it a try just for fun?

trimmtrabb
    Participant

As above, some Pi’s seem to overclock better than others. Also your PSU could be a factor

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.