Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Peoples Projects Handheld Raspberry Pi in Game Gear shell

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    brooksyx
    Participant

Thought I would share a recent project I started working on. I had a broken game gear lying around and realized it would be perfect for a handheld raspberry pi. So far I have started gutting the console and filling in the holes with plastic filler. I have a 4.3″ car LCD that will be going in it. Last night I was able configure it to run off of 5v (instead of the 12v that it comes set up for). There will also be several buttons added from cheap USB controller and push pin buttons, these will be hooked up to the GPIO pins and then coded to simulate keyboard key presses. Originally I was going to put a model A board in there but after the Raspberry model 2 was released I ordered on and will end up using that once it arrives.

Things left to do:
    -Finish cutting out holes for / adding all of the buttons
    -Finish filling and sanding, then paint
    -Wire up the buttons and LCD to 26 pin header I made from some pins and proto board
    -Wire in Audio amp (with volume control) and some speakers. Along with headphone jack.
    -Add rechargable battery to power the Pi and screen. Using this: [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/380777493751?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]
    -Wire up power switch, going to use a STDP switch, On & Off/Charge.
    -Add external USB port
    -Add charge port
    -Install Raspberry Pi and software

Anyways here are some pictures of the work so far. Note that the screen images are from it hooked up to my n64, not actually using a raspberry pi yet.

brooksyx
    Participant

Thought I would share a picture of the progress I made last night. Finished adding buttons to the front of the shell. The goal for this weekend is to get the front finished and painted, then wire up all the buttons and screen. The D-Pad on the bottom right is more for C style buttons on N64 than directional buttons.

brooksyx
    Participant

Starting to get all of the buttons all wired up along with installing the screen. Not really happy with how the paint turned out but already sanded it down again once, Decided to just go with a texture type theme instead. Should have more pictures tomorrow.

rdhanded2
    Participant

Any updates? Looks like an awesome build so far.

labelwhore
    Participant

haha cool! I have a broken gamegear at home and was thinking of doing the exact same thing once I finish my current retropie. I’ll be watching this thread. :)

brooksyx
    Participant

Ill try to get some updates up tonight. Its starting to come together.

rdhanded2
    Participant

Awesome

brooksyx
    Participant

Here are some pictures.

All of the buttons are currently working but for some reason I need a keyboard plugged in for them to register so I will need to get this sorted out.

deepdivered
    Participant

I am thinking of using the same thing as my case. I had a game gear as a kid so this will be great! Do you think this screen will fit between the buttons? https://www.adafruit.com/products/2232

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Peoples Projects’ is closed to new topics and replies.