Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    hacha-dorada
    Participant

I become aware of the problems related to x86 emulation on the Pi when planning to test DOSBox with GUS emulation on my RetroPie. Looking around I found that some people tried to improve DOSBox funcionality for the Pi.

According to reports and the developers:
    “FastDosbox is an enhanced fork of Dosbox, highly optimised for Raspberry Pi.”

Key Features
    Speed of a 386DX @ 25Mhz thanks to dynrec x86 emulation
    1080p native resolution,splendid upscaling using dispmanx (GPU aided)
    Based on the sources Dosbox SVN and Dosbox 0.74
    Between 200% to 250% the speed of Raspbian dosbox v 0.74
    Console only, no support for X11
    Can Run Microsoft Windows 3.x

While getting it from the Pi Store costs around $2.50, the source files can be got for free at the website.
    I don’t know how to compile it and make it into ES, but I guess there are many gus around here who could help with this, and who knows maybe finally get it into the script.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I am having a look into this right now …

hacha-dorada
    Participant

Great! Thanks for having a look at it. We’ll see how well it works as compared to the current emulator.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

It compiled fine and it also started. I did not do more testing, so please feel free to give feedback!

You can install FastDosbox by updating your installation with the RetroPie-Setup Script.

hacha-dorada
    Participant

Excellent job. I will give it a try.
    Should I then update the script and install it from the sources?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

You can either use the function of the RetroPie-Setup Script for updating the binaries or you can use the source-based installation to compile FastDosbox on your own. The binaries-based update should be faster, though.

grizzlema
    Participant

I went into the Retropi_setup.sh and updated the retropi setup script but i do not see an option in the source based installation options. any thoughts?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

fastdosbox is removed and replaced with dosbox (which is actually faster than our previously compiled fastdosbox)

Anonymous
    Inactive

with standard dosbox , retroarch dosbox.sh changes the following

sed -i ‘s/C_TARGETCPU.*/C_TARGETCPU ARMV4LE/g’ config.h

For raspberry pi 2 compiles ARMV7LE should give a significant performance boost

reference
    http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=31787

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/7544-dosbox-dynrec-update/

petrockblog
    Keymaster

just FYI it was updated a few days ago to include armv7 optimisation.

Please use the github bugtracker for stuff like this, or even better a pull request ;-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep long overdue i started using github properly. Anyways thanks for implementing my forum-based suggestions this week! DOSBOX running really nicely on pi2 now

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.