Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Xbox 360 controller – No need for usb hub!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    untakatapuntaka
    Participant

Read the following posts for more info

Original post:

Hi everyone =)
    I’ve been using retropie in the last two months and I found it amazing! I’ve finally managed to give a proper use to my rpi =)
    I’ve been using a PS2ish unbranded USB controller (just plugged it in, configured the rpi and played) but I’ve decided to buy a new controller – I’ll probably buy an XBox 360 controller or a Logitech F310 (the d-pad position is what I’m pondering mostly). So here’s the question: will I need a powered usb hub to make them work? I’ve surfed the net a lot and I still can’t answer this question: someone says it’s mandatory, others don’t even mention it in their guides.

Thank you and happy holidays! =)

(and excuse me for my poor use of English)

untakatapuntaka
    Participant

UP

Anyone? =(

randalicioso
    Participant

Hey untakatapuntaka! I currently use the old model B with a 1200 mA (1.2 A) power supply, and got everything working without problems. I have a usb dongle for a keyboard and the 360 receiver connected, no extra hubs whatsoever.

If you get the 360 controller, be sure to buy the “for Windows” one (comes with receiver) or get the regular one and a PC receiver in ebay (I’d stick with the first option, you’d end paying the same and you’d get an official receiver). Also, if you don’t have a batteries charger, you’d want to buy the “play & charge” kit (10 bucks, helps you loading the batteries while playing).

untakatapuntaka
    Participant

[quote=84206]Hey untakatapuntaka! I currently use the old model B with a 1200 mA (1.2 A) power supply, and got everything working without problems. I have a usb dongle for a keyboard and the 360 receiver connected, no extra hubs whatsoever.

If you get the 360 controller, be sure to buy the “for Windows” one (comes with receiver) or get the regular one and a PC receiver in ebay (I’d stick with the first option, you’d end paying the same and you’d get an official receiver). Also, if you don’t have a batteries charger, you’d want to buy the “play & charge” kit (10 bucks, helps you loading the batteries while playing).
    [/quote]

Thank you very much for the response =)
    Just got a couple of wired 360 controllers from a friend and I’m gonna try them asap =)

proxycell
    Participant

hey untakatapuntaka, let us know how the xbox 360 controllers work out for you. remember to install the driver for it

untakatapuntaka
    Participant

Controller recognized although I’ve neither installied the driver nor used a usb hub: just plugged it in and… it worked! =)
    It works both in the main menu and in retroarch emulators (nes, snes,…) after the input configuration wizard and retroarch-joyconfig.
    I’m going to try if it works better after a clean install of Retropie and the controller driver =)

ps. I forgot to say that I’m currently using 3rd party wired controllers (GameStop) but I don’t think it would make any difference using original ones.

untakatapuntaka
    Participant

Good news =)
    I’ve managed to make the controller work with xboxdrv!
    First I installed xboxdrv via app-get. When I tried to launch it, it didn’t recognized the controller I was using. With the command lsusb I found the controller ID and forced the driver to recognize it:

xboxdrv –device-by-id xxxx:xxxx –type xbox360 –detach-ketnel-driver –id 0 –led 2 –deadzone 4000 –silent &

I had to use the –detach-ketnel-driver option, otherwise it would have given me an error.

Basically what was left was to add the previous line code in /etc/rc.local for the auto-start of the driver (following part of guide.

So, what’s the difference between using the xboxdrv or not?
    For me? Just having a single led on instead of 4 blinking! =D

Do I miss something? Is there a better use of xboxdrv (not counting a better controller configuration)?

Given that just pluggin’ the controller in worked like a charm for me, I think I’m not gonna use xboxdrv, unless there is a better use for it rather than “just making it work”.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.