Homepage Forums RetroPie Project GPIO Adapter, ControlBlock etc. ControlBlock 2.1 Only Recognizing A Button of NES Controller

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kdbdallas
    Participant

I have the ControlBlock rev 2.1 with a Pi2 and I am trying to connect an authentic original NES controller.

Currently if I set “input” in /etc/controlblockconfig.cfg to “snes” as the docs at: https://www.petrockblock.com/2014/12/29/controlblock-power-switch-and-io-for-the-raspberry-pi/#Using_SNES_Controllers_with_the_ControlBlock then none of the buttons do anything, but if I leave it at the default of “arcade” then the “a” button will at least work, but nothing else does.

I have installed the drivers.

The on/off switch works fine.

Here is my wiring:

Michael
    Participant

I’m having the exact same issues, received 3 controlblocks last week, have only tried one so far.

driver installed without errors, power switch works fine, retropie shows the controllers are present but won’t allow to configure or use. Ive go through every step time and time again and searched high and low for answers or a fix…

I wonder if this is another bad batch? I read that the last batch had an issue that had to be fixed, hence the reason it took so long to receive these (I ordered back in December)

I posted in the forum this morning and sent a direct email to the seller/developer, hoping to hear back soon from someone who can help, as this is very frustrating…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Would just like to chime in mentioning that I am experiencing the same issues – USB controllers work, but original SNES controller connected through ControlBlock is detected but unconfigurable. Also running with a 2.1 ControlBlock, LED and Power Button functionality working as expected.

Edit: SNES controller is configurable when classified as an “arcade” controller, but only one button (B) is recognised. Have resoldered twice to confirm connection.

Michael
    Participant

I have been working with the developer regarding this issue, he wrote me step by step instructions on how to get it working… I have now done ground up sd image formats and installs numerous times using his instructions, and still no SNES controller support via control block. I ordered 3 control blocks and have tried all 3 with the same results. I have also gone over all of my wiring several times and had the developer go over it as well, he says everything looks okay. Getting very frustrated with this thing…

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Hi everyone, you can find the step-by-step guide that Michael mentions above at https://www.petrockblock.com/2014/12/29/controlblock-power-switch-and-io-for-the-raspberry-pi/#Command-Line_Installation. I have added it recently.

I will publish a video series that shows the hardware setup, installation, and configuration with RetroPie this afternoon. Hopefully, that gives you some hints to solve your issues!

kdbdallas
    Participant

This got it working for me!
    The key seemed to be the enabling of SPI interface and the SPI kernel module on boot via raspi-config.
    Thanks!

kdbdallas
    Participant

For those asking here is what I did:

I did a: sudo apt-get update and: sudo apt-get upgrade
    I did a firmware upgrade: sudo rpi-update
    I turned on the setting in sudo raspi-config
    I also did a git pull on the ControlBlockService2 repo and there were a bunch of updates there since when I grabbed it a week ago. So I then had to do a: make clean, then do all the steps to compile and install it again.
    After that I was able to set the config file with the correct type of ’snes’.

I restarted and then before even trying the onscreen setup I logged in via SSH and ran jstest /dev/input/js0 (or js1) and checked to see if the buttons were being detected, and luckily for me they were!

Hope that helps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Would also like to confirm that my setup is now working with the updated Control Block repo. Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘GPIO Adapter, ControlBlock etc.’ is closed to new topics and replies.