Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Compiling retroarch – no suitable C compiler

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    brainfrz
    Participant

Hi all,

I recently received my raspberry pi 2, which i am currently setting up/testing.

I downloaded the preinstalled image for the RPi 2, and thought it would be a nice test to compile some stuff from source. So i tried to compile Retroarch from source via the retropie_setup. Just for fun and giggles.

Unfortunately it quickly ran aground with a “Checking for suitable working C compiler … Not found. Exiting.” notification. as far as i know, i got it all up and running.

pi@retropie2 ~ $ sudo apt-get install build-essential
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    build-essential is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

pi@retropie2 ~ $ gcc --version
    gcc (Debian 4.7.2-5+rpi1) 4.7.2

pi@retropie2 ~ $ cc --version
    cc (Debian 4.7.2-5+rpi1) 4.7.2

pi@retropie2 ~ $ g++ --version
    g++ (Debian 4.7.2-5+rpi1) 4.7.2

pi@retropie2 ~ $ make --version
    GNU Make 4.0
    Built for arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf

Running ./configure manually generates the same error. Has anybody got any idea what i’m looking at?

sselph
    Participant

Just a guess but maybe try __platform=rpi2 sudo ~/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_setup.sh to remind it that you are using a rpi 2.

EDIT:
    I just looked on my rpi2 and this variable is already set to rpi2 so probably not that.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

please provide the logfile from “logs”.

brainfrz
    Participant

Thanks both for your reply, I forced the Rpi2 platform, but the same thing happens (as expected, but no harm in trying anyway)

Unfortunately, the logfile doesn’t show too much info, as far as i can tell:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    Installing dependencies for RetroArch

/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/retroarch /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup

Getting sources for RetroArch

git clone --depth 1 "git://github.com/libretro/RetroArch.git" "/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/retroarch"
    Cloning into '/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/retroarch'...
    git clone --depth 1 "git://github.com/libretro/common-overlays.git" "/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/retroarch/overlays"
    Cloning into '/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/retroarch/overlays'...
    git clone --depth 1 "git://github.com/libretro/retroarch-assets.git" "/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/retroarch/assets"
    Cloning into '/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/retroarch/assets'...
    /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup
    /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/retroarch /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup

Building RetroArch

Checking operating system ... Linux
    Checking for suitable working C compiler ... Not found. Exiting.
    Makefile:1: config.mk: No such file or directory
    config.mk is outdated or non-existing. Run ./configure again.
    Makefile:84: recipe for target 'config.mk' failed
    make: *** [config.mk] Error 1
    Makefile:1: config.mk: No such file or directory
    config.mk is outdated or non-existing. Run ./configure again.
    Makefile:84: recipe for target 'config.mk' failed
    make: *** [config.mk] Error 1
    /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup
    Could not successfully build_retroarch RetroArch (/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/retroarch/retroarch not found).
    petrockblog
    Keymaster

after it failed was there a config.log in tmp/build/retroarch – that might give a clue.

I’m unable to reproduce it here, but it can’t find your c compiler for whatever reason – so something is wrong with your image. Have you adjusted the system in any way ? You changed your hostname at least I see.

It might just be worth trying with a fresh image, but if there is anything further in config.log I can try and advise.

brainfrz
    Participant

sorry, there was no config.log generated. i’ll try a fresh image when i have the time and report back. :) Thanks anyway :)

brainfrz
    Participant

well, that was sooner than expected. while practising my motto “if it ain’t broke, fix it ’till it is”, i actually managed to break retroarch in such a way i feel like somehow it randomizes button mapping every time i start :P

So time to start from scratch, i re-imaged my sd card, and after the essential “raspi-config” the first thing i tried was compiling retroarch from source, and this time it went smoothly.

Still curious what happened though, i’ll try to replicate my previous install (untill the point i break it) and try to find what the change was.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.