Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    maketheworldbetter
    Participant

Its a mess here!

People saying the best way for an update is to choose a complete binary install – what a waste of time and space should that be? Especially if I only need 10% of all the available emus.

Furthermore there are a lot of crappy things – lr-N64-core for example. For what reason is it there, if people say it´s slower than the normal emu (without lr-core) and has less compatibility?

Why don´t you concentrate on emus that are useful at all??

Isnt it a big discrepancy what is going on here – on the one hand “the best way for an update is to install all”, on the other side people say this or this or this is crappy, better use this (for the same system)? I am feeling forced to waste my space and time…

More confusion as in Retropie is almost impossible in my opinion.

ronoh55
    Participant

1. This is a completely free project, so unbased complaining just makes you look stupid.

2. I call your complaining unbased because there has been discussion for MONTHS on making the initial install smaller/more modular. This stuff takes time to implement and there are bigger bugs to squash right now.

3. Emulators like lr-n64 still exist in the project because some games (Only a VERY select few, but some) actually run better on it!

4. Unless you are compiling your system piece-meal on top of a stock Raspbian image, you are going to get the emulators you do not use right now. That’s just how the project is. If you are competent enough at linux to do that, you should have no problems fixing everything. If not…

5. USE THE IMAGES posted on the site instead of manually updating. Flashing a new SD takes half the time doing a manual update does. You should have all the games/settings backed up and ready to put back in place so you are running in 10 mins after the new image is loaded.

Anonymous
    Inactive

some gratitude for this project existing in the first place would be nice, People work really hard on it

herbfargus

Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine tätige Unwissenheit. ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

sehr wahr herb

Omnija
    Participant

@micha1982 if this project isn’t to your liking, you can try other projects which share the same idea.
    -recalbox
    -piplay
    -happi

gizmo98
    Participant

@micha1982
    Der lr-N64 Core ist ein Relikt der Vergangenheit. Der funktionierte bereits zu Raspberry Pi 1 Zeiten. Man konnte die Video Plugins RICE und GLESN64 mit einer niedrigen Auflösung benutzen und hatte den Vorteil, dass der Controller über Retroarch konfiguriert wird. Die Performance war aber mehr als mangelhaft. Der standalone Emulator ist da ein bisschen besser. Glücklicherweise erschien der Raspberry 2. Mit diesem kann man zumindest einige Spiele wie Mario64, MK64 und Zelda ganz erträglich spielen.

Wenn ein Raspberry Pi 3 erscheint kann man vielleicht auch den lr-N64 Core vernünftig benutzen ;-).

Zu den anderen Punkten. Ich wüsste gerade nicht welchen Emulator ich noch vermissen würde. Bitte auch daran denken, dass das hier nur ein Freizeitprojekt ist.

dankcushions
    Participant

if memory serves lr-mupen64plus was originally the default, until it was discovered that the non-libretro version ran everything a lot better, than that became the default, so you have to go out of your way to use the lr-mupen64plus in the latest versions, no?

[quote=116676]3. Emulators like lr-n64 still exist in the project because some games (Only a VERY select few, but some) actually run better on it! [/quote]i’m not sure this can be true? it’s a fork so it will only ever have less changes. i think if it runs better it’ll be because it default runs at 640×480 whereas mupen64plus vanilla runs at 1080 (i think). under the same settings they would hypothetically run equally, but don’t because the lr fork is missing fixes.

interestingly, the lr-mupen64plus fork has seen a load of updates recently. it seems to have glide and gles2n64 now. might be worth revisiting! i would sooner use it as it is easier/more consistent to configure retroarch emus, if it only wasn’t previously so shoddy…

maketheworldbetter
    Participant

To point a bit more out what I am talking about:

Installed everything from binary, there is an Infocom-emulator in the ES-menu…with Zork inside…for sure interesting…for a handful of people. If you open it, its very hard/impossible to end it without having a look into some manuals – or in other words impossible on the quick…isn’t it?
    However, after this I recommend to give it a try to remove the menupoint by deleting its rom-folder –

I bet most people need to open their browser and have to look into google or manuals first.

zigurana
    Participant

… Or you do:
    1) press select
    2) edit this games metadata
    3) delete
    4) yes
    5) while zorks remain: goto 1

Hardly rocket science, is it?

And if you feel this needs more explanation on the wiki, you could do something about it by suggesting some improvements.

herbfargus

It’s right there in the wiki:

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Zmachine

Almost everything in regards to retropie is documented on the wiki. It’s just a matter of taking the time to learn, don’t be lazy. If you want something easy use recalbox.

maketheworldbetter
    Participant

Or watch this interesting menu – which one would you choose?

(taken some days ago – but as far as I remember 3 (!) menupoints does have exactly the same content)

maketheworldbetter
    Participant

You can point to the wiki as often as you want – it does not make the mess inside the program itself better. WYSIWYG is a completely different thing.

Btw, someone mentioned its a hobby-project…good point – especially as a hobby-project it would be much easier to manage if everything would be a bit clearer, for everyone.

[quote=116702] @micha1982
    Der lr-N64 Core ist ein Relikt der Vergangenheit.[/quote]Davon red ich ja – warum ist er dann noch da – und wird zur besseren Übersichtlichkeit nicht ganz einfach entfernt?!

Bloating it up with more and more emus definately does not make this software better…quite the contrary.

zigurana
    Participant

<Beware, a troll lives here, please do not feed>

maketheworldbetter
    Participant

Do you like senseless menus or emulators? Calling someone a troll is the easiest way do defame if arguments going out, isn´t it? *lol*

Fact is that I am not the only one in this thread consider some things (lr-n64 for example) as ´senseless´, and there is presumably noone who would call the menu shown in the picture some posts above as useful.
    Furthermore I am sure lots of people would agree if you ask them that there are easy and good ways to improve some other menus – the setup for example – for a better usability, as I already had shown in another thread.

Btw, regarding your troll: are you aware we are in a “ideas for further enhancements”-thread? Does not seem so to me, Superman.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Clean up, PLEASE!!!’ is closed to new replies.