Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Change the Emulators logo graphics?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Can you change the png/jpeg file of the emulators logo that shows for each system. Im wanting to change the Genesis logo for a MegaDrive logo?

GameRockeR
    Participant

If you want to change the logo is in svg format (jpg and png are for background images. Search for gen.svg in the megadrive folder /etc/emulationstation/themes/simple/megadrive/art

GameRockeR
    Participant

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/fr/c/c6/Megadrive_logo.svg

Just rename it to gen.svg and replace it here /etc/emulationstation/themes/simple/megadrive/art (first backup the .svg default logo). I already tested and it works. Easy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks vintagamer.

So what steps are need to get a working .svg file. Can i just use any jpeg/png file and convert it to svg, does it have to be a certain resolution?

Im also after a the UK megadrive 32x logo also, but can find a file large enough

GameRockeR
    Participant

I use GIMP (linux version) to edit/resize and export/save .svg files from any source (jpg’s, png’s, bmp’s, etc)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmmm dont see an option is gimp for exporting as a .svg file.

Ive made and uploaded at 32x logo here…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cabumg2qcv5jgvi/Sega%2032X%20Logo%20%28PAL%29.png?dl=0

GameRockeR
    Participant

Oh yes sorry I forgot to mention you need to add the script, take a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqtrXFOSvMc

labelwhore
    Participant

Vectrex, Atari Lynx, and a Capcom theme for those CPS roms would be awesome. :P

Anonymous
    Inactive

What resolution do these logos need to be as, ive just swapped out the 32x logo and now EmulationStation crashes??

nilsbyte
    Participant

[quote=89706]Well, it is not that easy, of course.

First of all, a big thank you for the people who worked on the different pieces of the puzzle making the .img uploaded by Buzz.

However, tons of things are missing. First, why is there only a Genesys logo and not a proper Megadrive one? We have the proper Megadrive name referenced 2 millions in all the different paths and so on, but 0 logo???

Also, no Famicom, Super Famicom, and so on… We are not all American, might be good to have the real proper original name and logo of those machines.

And I can already see people saying : “If you are not happy with it, then why don’t you do it?”. Well, I tried. I even downloaded Inkscape, made my .svg and so on… But the next second you dare to change anything, you will end up with a ES segment fault, go F yourself, I don’t boot anymore error. That is correct, swapping something as simple as a .svg file will just mess up the whole thing 99% of the time. And during the last 1%, I could implement a png, but there is no alpha channel and they look like crap. This is the less custom friendly thing ever.

So if any rocket scientist could think of some of us living outside the US, that would be amazing! The work has been done half properly for the PC Engine for example. Supporting Japanese characters in ES would be nice as well, I am sick of seeing all those half ass romaji all over the place.

Thanks.
    [/quote]

I am the author of the official ‘simple’ theme and UI artist for ES.

First of all, the ES ‘simple’ theme was made with focus on the US system names. But you are right, in the case of Genesis/Mega Drive there are different games for each system as many of the US games were not released in Europe. You can contribute a theme for that, if you like. There is an official thread in the ES forum over here: http://emulationstation.org/forum/index.php?topic=35.0

Secondly, your problems with SVG most likely originate from not using decent software. Inkscape is just crap. Better use Adobe Illustrator, if you can afford it.

nilsbyte
    Participant

[quote=89761]I use GIMP (linux version) to edit/resize and export/save .svg files from any source (jpg’s, png’s, bmp’s, etc)[/quote]

Holy ****, guys.

JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP or whatever are PIXEL BASED formats…

SVG is a VECTOR BASED format.

The advantages of this format is that you can scale it without losing quality or seeing pixelation.

We implemented SVG support in ES to benefit from the advantages of this VECTOR BASED format, so you should use a vector based source, not JPEGs or similar.

If you dont have any vector data, you also can implement simple PNGs with alpha channel to achieve similar results, but you will lose the ability to scale the image without decreasing quality.

nilsbyte
    Participant

For you system theme wishes:

Any theme requests for the official ‘simple’ stock theme go here: http://emulationstation.org/forum/index.php?topic=35.0

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can someone please create the Megadrive 32x logo for me…

32x

GameRockeR
    Participant

[quote=90051]

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>GameRockeR wrote:</div>
    I use GIMP (linux version) to edit/resize and export/save .svg files from any source (jpg’s, png’s, bmp’s, etc)

Holy ****, guys.

JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP or whatever are PIXEL BASED formats…

SVG is a VECTOR BASED format.

The advantages of this format is that you can scale it without losing quality or seeing pixelation.

We implemented SVG support in ES to benefit from the advantages of this VECTOR BASED format, so you should use a vector based source, not JPEGs or similar.

If you dont have any vector data, you also can implement simple PNGs with alpha channel to achieve similar results, but you will lose the ability to scale the image without decreasing quality.
    [/quote]

Yeah I know the difference about raster and vector formats, but with good quality images and the appropriate software (and patience of course) you can achieve decent conversion to svg, it all depends on user preference or applications.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.