Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Can I use cheats with Retropie 3.0 BETA 4?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    narp
    Participant

I’ve been trying to figure out how to use cheats for some time now, but there’s very little info about it. Any suggestions? Thank you!

machtroid
    Participant

You will need to create a cheat file (.CHT) for the game you would like to use cheats for. I just create a blank text file, then for each cheat you would like to use for a game you list it like this:

cheats = 3

cheat0_desc = “Infinite Lives”
    cheat0_code = “OXNGLZVK”
    cheat0_enable = true

cheat1_desc = “Infinite Time”
    cheat1_code = “SXXXYAAX”
    cheat1_enable = false

cheat2_desc = “Infinite Health”
    cheat2_code = “SZSVLYSE”
    cheat2_enable = false

So list the cheats you would like to use in the format above (Game Genie or PAR depending on which system you are using) and then save it to a file such as ‘Castlevania.CHT’. I created a folder named ‘cheats’ in /home/pi/RetroPie/ for easy access, and then I set ‘cheat_database_path’ in the main /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg file to that location.

After you get your directory and files set up, just pull up the Retroarch menu while in the game, and go to Options > Core Cheat Options > Cheat File Load. If you set your directory then your cheat file should be listed there. If not, just navigate to wherever you saved it. Select it and then you can set your desired cheats to on or off. Be sure to select ‘Apply Cheat Changes’ before going back into your game.

There’s also a Github for many cheat files that have already been created: https://github.com/libretro/libretro-database/tree/master/cht

You can simply download these to your pi and you’ll be good to go.

charco
    Participant

This is a great tip, thanks a million :)

narp
    Participant

Wow, thanks a lot! How do I save the files directly from the github site? As it is, I copy all the text and then make it into a .cht file. Also, when I click on a cheat, it says ‘input cheat’ and then freezes the menu. Works fine if I just turn them on, which is great, but figured I’d ask what that’s all about. Thanks again!

jonnygall
    Participant

Easy way to save CHT files would be to click on the one you want, and when you see the text there should be a button above that says “Raw”. Right click on that and click Save Link As. Much easier than copying and pasting everything into text files :)

narp
    Participant

Ah, awesome, thanks a ton! I tried right clicking on the file itself but that obviously wouldnt save as a text file. Never thought of right clicking on the raw button! Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks! :)

I’ve been looking all over the net to find a way how to use Game GEnie/Game Shark/Action Replay/etc.. in RetroPie.

(And of course, this is the place to look)

Again, many thanks!

/Alucard

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=100998]
    So list the cheats you would like to use in the format above (Game Genie or PAR depending on which system you are using) and then save it to a file such as ‘Castlevania.CHT’. I created a folder named ‘cheats’ in /home/pi/RetroPie/ for easy access, and then I set ‘cheat_database_path’ in the main /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg file to that location.

After you get your directory and files set up, just pull up the Retroarch menu while in the game, and go to Options > Core Cheat Options > Cheat File Load. If you set your directory then your cheat file should be listed there. If not, just navigate to wherever you saved it. Select it and then you can set your desired cheats to on or off. Be sure to select ‘Apply Cheat Changes’ before going back into your game.

There’s also a Github for many cheat files that have already been created: https://github.com/libretro/libretro-database/tree/master/cht

You can simply download these to your pi and you’ll be good to go.

[/quote]

Sorry for the extremely noobish question, I did the above and think I set the path correctly:
    # Path to cheat database directory.
    # cheat_database_path = /home/pi/RetroPie/Cheats/

But how do I “pull up the Retroarch menu while in the game”?

thanks@!

MRKane
    Participant

Not a bad question…I’m still trying to figure that out myself!

robertokarto
    Participant

I use a SNES controller. By default you can go into the quick menu by pressing the Select+ X button together while in the game :)

MRKane
    Participant

Thanks so much! I finally know how to access the cheats menu! I’ll try it as soon as I get the chance!

I’ve been looking all over for “how to bring up the cheats menu” is there a document somewhere that’s got this stuff written in it for the next thing that I trip up on? :D

duckman1221
    Participant

Ok so i’m probably just doing it wrong but help me out here if you would please. I’ve got the cheat files in place, I’ve not gotten into the config file yet to set the default because my terminal command mastery sucks, i’ll get past that. I can get the retroarch menu and choose the cheats/turn them on, but then i hit save or apply changes as suggested earlier in the forum and nothing happens. am i skipping a step somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

MRKane
    Participant

I’m trying to get them running on mupen64plus as I’d really like to use the Mario Kart Battle Royale cheat for multiplayer, but I’m having the same problems with them. Although I do feel that our issues are different (for example I might have to turn something on inside mupen) but lets make sure we tweak the documentation up to spec once we do find out!!!!

robertokarto
    Participant

I have the same problem to regarding some games. but i read somewhere online that the cheat codes differ or in this case don’t work because of the game ROM. you need the correct game ROM( game ROM region or in some cases ROM version).
    I love Gain Ground on the Genesis but none of the cheats work but i have luck with CONTRA III on the SNES with cheats used from the GAME GENIE folder.
    i haven’t tried Mario yet. i have the RPi B+ model but I just got my RPi 2 today. So i will install Retropie on it later today.

MRKane
    Participant

I was sure I put a reply up but I did it on my iPad and it contained a link which might be why it doesn’t appear to have shown.

I stumbled across the development wiki for libretro-mupen64plus which stated that cheat codes were not supported. Simply put I may just have to wait until the devs do include gameshark in the build. There’s so much conflicting information out there and it makes it tough to filter through it all. Retroarch seems to support cheats but I’d be dead in the water getting that going also. Shall continue to try to find a way!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just installed the latest 3.1 release and am trying to get the cheat system to work. I can manually edit the retroarch.cfg file with either a terminal or WINSCP.

Example:
    # cheat_database_path = /home/pi/RetroPie/Cheats

However when I pull up an emulator with Select+X the database path is still:
    /home/pi/.config/retroarch/cheats

I can even change it through the retroarch menu system and then saving that new configuration. When I exit the emulator and then restart it the path has defaulted right back to:
    /home/pi/.config/retroarch/cheats

But!!!! My retrarch.cfg file is still
    # cheat_database_path = /home/pi/RetroPie/Cheats

So I have to be missing something. Also what it weird is every time I pull up the retroarch menu it has a box that say’s “search” in the middle of the screen and will not go away unless a random button is pressed.

Anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated!

petrockblog
    Keymaster

not recommended to save config (if you dont understand how it works) – or at least not telling it to save on exit. it will overwrite system specific config. You can edit this file manually via the config editor – try that. You have have messed up some configs now though and should start from a fresh image.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The search box happened right from the get go no mods to any files. More of an annoyance than anything else. I appreciate the input but the config file was updated in both manners (config editor and WINSCP) with just the one line so I am absolutely sure no configs are messed up that would require re-imaging.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.