Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Brand new, two small questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    drone
    Participant

Hey all. I just got my Pi 2 yesterday and spent the afternoon getting everything set up with the SD Card image and all my roms copied over the network, but there are still two basic questions I have:

1.) Metadata for games. I’ve used the scraper (pulling from TheGamesDB, since apparently TheArchive was unreachable and just causes my box to hang for five minutes until it says that no art could be found), and it was able to pull the box art/review/blurb for about 95% of my games. There are several that can’t be found though, even when I refine the search by typing in search terms after it returns no results. This is really strange, since I just went to TheGamesDB.net on my PC, and was able to find the games with zero problem (typing in the exact same names as they appear on the ROM). Is there any tip for finding the lost metadata here on the Pi, or is there a way to input the metadata manually?

2.) The console background color. So for my games that DO have metadata, I can barely read the info blurb about them on my screen, since the thin-white-text-on-grey-background is completely illegible. Is there a tip for changing the color of the text to black, or maybe changing the background color to something darker?

drone
    Participant

Oh, and a third & fourth question…

3.) Is there an easy way to see my total disk space free on the SD card? I bought 32GB thinking this would be enough, but I’m afraid it’s already approaching the limit with all of the larger games I wanted to load onto it.

4.) Off the back of the above question: I made a backup image of my SD card last night. If I decide to buy a bigger card in the future, I can just install that image on the larger card with no issues, right? Will I have to go back into the raspi-config to expand the memory again?

herbfargus

1: https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/scraper-doest-find-existing-results-in-thegamesdb/#post-96165 I’ve never been able to get thearchive database to work. Also if you want to manually enter metadata, in emulationstation while choosing a game from your menu press select on the game you want to add metadata for and you can specify the file path to an image (that you added through something like winscp) as well as add metadata like descriptions and whatnot (you’ll need a keyboard of course). But make SURE that you quit emulation station from the start menu if you want your manual edits saved- not shutdown or restart system- choose “quit emulation station” its the only way your manual edits will be saved.

2: there are hexadecimal colour codes in XML files that define the colours of emulationstation. I can’t remember if its the game list.XML or theme. I want to say theme though. Its located in /etc/emulation station/themes/simple/theme.XML or something similar to it in that general vicinity, play around with the code and see what happens- you could even come up with your own theme :D

3: df -h /dev/root

4: if it is a larger card, once you’ve written the SD image to it you will need to expand the filesystem from raspi-config again to utilise all of the space.

drone
    Participant

Awesome, thanks for the quick response!

For the metadata images/etc, is there a specific directory on the Pi that I should be saving them to using WinSCP?

herbfargus

With sselph’s scraper he keeps them in their respective ROM folers, by default with the built in scraper for emulation station the scraped files go into /home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists… Somewhere in there- I don’t have my pi right now so I don’t remember the exact location, but once you see the folders with a bunch of images you’ll know youre in the right spot, if I remember they were set up in folders by console. You can really place them anywhere as long as you remember the file path because that’s what you’ll be typing in once you start adding metadata manually.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.