Viewing 35 posts - 176 through 210 (of 278 total)
  • Author
    luckylocky
    Participant

Bugger, well I’m
    Hopeless with any Linux stuff. I wired it exactly how instructions on xin mode told me, massive pain in the but to change all the wires over :(

luckylocky
    Participant

I wired it up like this, so guess I assume player 1 was left. Guess I better change them over grrr
    Cheers feederchain

Anyone have any help about my n64 problems?

feederchain
    Participant

If you don’t want to change the wiring. You could probably tell retropie to use the opposite using the config file. There are examples of button mappings in this thread. All you should need to do is swap the index value.

As for the n64 problems. Sorry I can’t be of much help. I’ve never used that emulator.

luckylocky
    Participant

All good, changed the wiring, it’s all working great now, appreciate your help and quick replies! Cheers

I’ll have to keep searching for others with n64 problems. Update 3.1 is not old enough yet

tyebeach
    Participant

I have spent countless hours trying to get the Xin Mo controller to work properly with Retropie 3.1. I haven’t tried to patch the kernel as the file is no longer available for download. I have added the line to the cmdline.txt file, but the controller is still seen as only 1 input even after reboot. Does anyone have any ideas?

luckylocky
    Participant

Hey it worked for me, did you look up your own vender product numbers? If u did it correctly it will work, it did for me. I didn’t need to download the kernels, just followed the instructions from above posts for cmdline

grey
    Participant

[quote=108132]I have spent countless hours trying to get the Xin Mo controller to work properly with Retropie 3.1. I haven’t tried to patch the kernel as the file is no longer available for download. I have added the line to the cmdline.txt file, but the controller is still seen as only 1 input even after reboot. Does anyone have any ideas?
    [/quote]

Hi tyebeach,

Try adding the line required to the end of the top line. NOT on a new line below. Ensure when you add it to the top line, there is a space then the line required.

E.g. In your file after rootwait add a single space then usbhid.quirks=0x16c0:0x05e1:0x040

This is what I did, and it worked perfectly.

gaus
    Participant

Hey guys,

Let me start by saying, this thread is great. I’m learning a ton.

I’m having the same problem with auto-fire on the axis as a few people here have. I’m using an old Playstation 2 fight stick ( the Street Fighter Anniversary one ) with a usb adapter. I’m using Retro Pi 3.0 on a Pi 2.

Do you think the latest kernal hack in this thread would work for me? I just wanted to hear opinions before I tried it.

Thanks

feederchain
    Participant

@gaus, I’m using a Genesis USB adapter made by Retrobit (or RetroLink?) and this was the reason I needed to create the kernel. So it wouldn’t surprise me if it did work.

The latest I compiled is here
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lty3yublbefr8r9/custom_kernel_1.20150818-1.tar.gz?dl=0

I know there are some saying that the kernel isn’t up on dropbox anymore, but they must just be clicking on the first one I created.

As you can see from the date, I haven’t bothered updating the kernel in a long time. So when running apt-get after installing, the kernel will probably get overwritten with the latest and not work anymore.

If there is a need for a newer version, I will try and make time to compile up another one.

gaus
    Participant

It didn’t work for me. Thanks for the effort though. I’m going to try to install the 3.1 update this weekend and maybe that will help out. Thanks again for all the work.

feederchain
    Participant

That’s too bad. So are you only getting the auto fire? Or are there two directions that are also not working?

gaus
    Participant

No, I just have the auto-fire problem. I haven’t been able to try 3.1 yet, but will let you know when I do.

ttown209
    Participant

Hello,

I am using Retropie 3.1, new build, and I have entered the usbhid.quirks=0x16c0:0x05el:0x040 at the end of my cmdline.txt. I also have downloaded the custom kernel and placed in my /home/pi folder zipped (ran install). I still show only 1 game pad detected when starting Emulationstation. Any help would be appreciated, I am getting very frustrated with this process.
    P.S.
    And my wife is getting ready to divorce me.

luckylocky
    Participant

Hey Ttown209 it worked for me, I see you copied the line eaxctly i had to change it to my vendor/product code. are you sure your vendor/product code is the same as feederchains? mine was different i followed this post below to find my vendor/product code

OK… so monchote…. you sparked something in my brain with your talk of quirks. Or at least that patch you referenced.

While I has dealing with this months ago I remembered reading something about adding a quirk on boot. But I didn’t get it to work. Looking back now, it’s because I didn’t know what I was really doing then.

Anyway… So I figured out my vendor/product ids 1292/4745.

Which is when the spark happened. So you are allowed to add the following to the end of /boot/cmdline.txt

usbhid.quirks=0x1292:0x4745:0x040

The first two numbers are my vendor/product. The third is the quirk. Found here http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/include/linux/hid.h#L313

So the 40 is for multi input.

So with my kernel and this above. I was seeing two controllers and they both worked.

You can find the vendor/product using
    lsusb

returned this for me
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1292:4745 Innomedia

So the next logical step was to try and use HID_QUIRK_NOGET with a virgin kernel and see if the directionals work. Replaced the 40 with the 8.

Unfortunately that didn’t work for me.

Hopefully for you compiling in the quirk will help.

ttown209
    Participant

I ran “lsusb” and it gave me this (16c0:05el VOTI CDC-ACM class devices (modems).
    I am new to this stuff, do i need to map the controllers anywhere? I assume when I reset Emulationstation, it should detect 2 game pads, but it only detects 1.

luckylocky
    Participant

Sorry ttown im new too, just got it working from this forum, i didnt do the kernal just the cmd line think and it worked, just one space and then type it. after shutdown and boot i could configure both sides of my controllers. Sorry hopefully someone else can help with the more technical stuff

feederchain
    Participant

Have you tried to see if the second joystick is picked up by jstest? I seem to recall that if I ran emulationstation and setup the controllers. It never told me again how many gamepads were detected. unless I connected a completely different device. I could be remembering incorrectly though.

When you added the quirk to the end of cmdline.txt. It was at the end of the single line. Correct? You can’t create a new line.

ttown209
    Participant

It is picked up by jtest, and is giving -3, 3, -2, 2. All the buttons on player2 start at 10-15. I put the quirk at the end with one single space between. I am not real sure about mapping the controls in the configs, do i need to do this even though the quirk was installed?

feederchain
    Participant

So that sounds like when you run jstest on js0, you are seeing all buttons from controller one and two there?

If the quirk had worked you should be seeing controller one’s buttons on js0 and controller two’s on js1. If they are all on the same then it’s not being picked up. Which seems odd to me.

I was hoping to take emulationstation out of the equation while using jstest.

Oh… I think I see why it’s not working

usbhid.quirks=0x16c0:0x05e1:0x040 <— correct

usbhid.quirks=0x16c0:0x05el:0x040 <— what you pasted

the top one is “five e one”

ttown209
    Participant

I changed the L to a 1 and it works. Emulationstation now recognized 2 gamepads and I was able to set controls for both. Thanks for taking the time to work this out with me. Keep up the awesome work.

luckylocky
    Participant

Awesome you figured it out, I thought it should be working seems that’s how I did mine. I looked at your code but didn’t spot the mistake :/ feederchain is the man. Now the fun of trying to get all your Roms to work.

No divorce now ;)

zogzoghakita
    Participant

I followed exactly this post
    [quote]

I’ve finally had some time to test the Xin-mo dual controller with a fresh installation of RetroPie 3.0 and the autofire on the axis issue no longer exists, so applying the previous patch is not needed anymore. Great news!

With regards to it not being recognised as 2 controllers, I’ve tested the addition to /boot/cmdline.txt method that @feederchain describes above and it also works with the Xin-mo dual controller. The code to add to the end of the line (after a white space) is:

usbhid.quirks=0x16c0:0x05e1:0x040

Reboot required after saving the file.

Having reached this solution, I’m not going to bother trying to patch the kernel as this fix is simple enough for those of us with the Xin-mo.

Thanks very much to @feeder for all the help and effort!
    [/quote]

It worked perfectly, then I configure config/all to set player1 and player2 commands. I’ll post details by end of the day to explain this step including hotkey configuration. It workds for SNES and NES emulator, I need to check then on pifba for Neogeo use.

Thanks a lot for your help and this forum !

ExSilver
    Participant

Hey, this threads a godsend! Firstly I’d just like to say thanks, I’ve managed to get my Pi to see the Xin-Mo as 2 devices which is good. I have a question. I would “normally” just read forums and watch videos but my lads birthday is Friday and I’m getting desperate to finish his present lol. He’s 4 and I cant let him down!

So the Pi is seeing the device as 2 controllers. And when I use Mame Configure Inputs Option (Start Button) to configure the devices buttons it is now assigning them correctly with no cross over issues with the joysticks. (Player 2 joystick replicated player ones but reversed for some reason)
    Once I enter a ROM the controls no longer do anything. If I back out to the Rom Selection they work again.
    I realise you guys have seen this over and over and are probably bored of it lol but as a real “noob” any response will have to be in pure Lamens terms. I’m not familiar with any Linux commands so even opening the es_input.cfg I have no idea how to do.

And just because this website has helped me a lot already when I manage to get this working I will be Donating £10 to the person responsible for pulling me out of a hole!

Thank You in Advance!

feederchain
    Participant

RetroPie currently now shares the configs over a windows (samba) share. So if you look up \\RASPBERRYPI in windows explorer, you should be able to make the changes needed by looking for the mame directory.

I’m not near my Pi right now, so I’m just going by memory right now.

ratedm
    Participant

first of all thanks for this thread, so far its the only thing that has helped

this is driving me crazy,I have Xi Mo hooked up to a Pi2 running 3.2.1. I did the custom kernel and updated the cmdline.txt and now I do see Xin mo as 2 separate controllers.
    If I do a jstest, they are under Js0 and Js1, now how do I configure them to work on the any of emulators? the controls only work in emulationstation.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ratedm The emulators, by default, rely on the settings in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

Setting your controls here will give all of your emulators the same config. If you want to change a particular emulator to work a bit differently than your “default” settings, you can adjust it at /opt/retropie/configs/<EMULATOR_NAME>/retroarch.cfg.

This link [1] should help.

[1] https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/RetroArch-Configuration

ratedm
    Participant

thanks I will try that, its a bit confusing since the location of configs seems to have changed from previous versions, I’m using 3.2.1. I am confused on which file is the correct one to edit

1. first there is the es_input.cfg (which is I guess is the emulationstation button config?)

2 than that file calls a cfg created with the name of xi mo, something like /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/THTTHTxxxxxxx.cfg

3. there is the default you mentioned /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

which one is the correct one to edit?

Floob

1. Yes, as you say that just deals with Emulation Station
    2. Yes, that is read in by the file in #3 by default, so you could update that and remove the references in the #2 file
    3. That is the default file and should work if you edit that – and maybe remove the reference in there to pull in #2

This video may help explain it from about 15min in

nygma2004
    Participant

Hi,

Can you put the kernel back on dropbox. I need it and it is no longer available.

Thanks,
    Csongor

feederchain
    Participant

You are probably clicking on an old link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lty3yublbefr8r9/custom_kernel_1.20150818-1.tar.gz?dl=0

Note that this is still a pretty old kernel. I haven’t needed to do a newer version.

Hope it helps.

nygma2004
    Participant

Stupid me. I downloaded, installed and works like a treat. I can see all axis now. Sweet. Time to finish the configuration.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all, man I spent 2 days trying to get ES to detect xin-mo as 2 controllers and still no luck. I’m currently using Retropie 3.2.1 and using file manager option in Emulationstaion to edit the cmdline.txt file. I’ve tried every suggestion spaces, lines, checked vendor ID and spelling a 1000 times, and still nothing. Whats everyone else using to edit cmdline.txt file? Anyone uploaded a clean working image anywhere that can be downloaded?
    please check this for me this is what I am entering “usbhid.quirks==0x16c0:0x05e1:0x040”.

PLEASE HELP!!! lol. Like previous post I’m about to get divorced If I spend too much longer on this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all, man I spent 2 days trying to get ES to detect xin-mo as 2 controllers and still no luck. I’m currently using Retropie 3.2.1 and using file manager option in Emulationstaion to edit the cmdline.txt file. I’ve tried every suggestion spaces, lines, checked vendor ID and spelling a 1000 times, and still nothing. Whats everyone else using to edit cmdline.txt file? Anyone uploaded a clean working image anywhere that can be downloaded?
    please check this for me this is what I am entering “usbhid.quirks=0x16c0:0x05e1:0x040”.

PLEASE HELP!!! lol. Like previous post I’m about to get divorced If I spend too much longer on this.

===========UPDATE=============

I have even done a fresh image, installed custom kernel and added line. NOTHING!! I must be doing something wrong???? I even have to Xin-mo boards and cables just to make sure nothing is faulty.

feederchain
    Participant

I updated the cmdline.txt using notepad by connecting the micro sd card to my windows laptop.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

[quote=112158]

I have even done a fresh image, installed custom kernel and added line. NOTHING!! I must be doing something wrong???? I even have to Xin-mo boards and cables just to make sure nothing is faulty.

[/quote]

please post me your actual cmdline.txt via a site like pastebin.com so I can check it. thanks.

Viewing 35 posts - 176 through 210 (of 278 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.