Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    maketheworldbetter
    Participant

When I start something from ES, I (always?) see some errors before the game start, but its too fast to read. The Log-folder in RSetup-folder is empty.

When I leave ES to the console, the screen is flooded with

ALSA lib pcm.c:7043:(snd_pcm_recover)) underrun occured”.

This happens since I installed everything through binary after the last update (3.5?) over my existing manual install.

Did I made something wrong, is it updaterelated, is it a known bug? Any ideas?

Furthermore the audio-error-messages are followed by one message:

lvl0: Could not find <gamelist> node in gamelist “home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelist/ports/gamelist.xml”!”

maketheworldbetter
    Participant

After a fresh install,
    I still get an errormessage when leaving ES saying something like

“lvl0: …init: failed to load Mixer-elements”

– is that normal actually? Is it already known as a problem/bug? Do I make something wrong?

It appears even after I set the audio-output correct to hdmi somewhere in the setup-script.

I use only normal hdmi-ouput, no soundcard, but [quote=118157]Are you using a USB sound card? I am, and I get this error.[/quote] it seems I am not the only person having this message!

What causes it? Is there any way to fix it by myself? Is it harmful at all, do you have this error, too?

shoothere
    Participant

By a fresh install I take it you mean you formatted the SD en flashed it again?

Raspberry Pi 2?

Did you try another SD?

Do you have any other stuff hooked up to the Pi (except, power, HDMI and maybe a keyboard)?

maketheworldbetter
    Participant

It is a Pi 2, actual Raspbian Jessi (I do update, upgrade+dist-upgrade almost daily).
    Audio through hdmi, mouse microsoft wireless with its own stick and a bt-stick for my bt-keyboard. Joypad -> usb + a wifi-stick. Everything else works fine, except this message. Memorysplit is actually 256.

I first recognized this after I’ve done a complete binary install (3.5) over my ‘old’ Retropie-install (3.2?, not sure).

Days ago (as described in another thread) I removed Retropie with the new uninstall-option through the setup-script completely. After that I reinstalled it manually, only partial (ES, RetroArch, ScummVM and lrSnes9x) – without change regarding that message.

shoothere
    Participant

So you built it yourself from scratch with Raspbian?

Out of curiosity: why would you not just use the image provided by the site?

maketheworldbetter
    Participant

No I compiled it not by myself – I use the official Retropie-Setupscript.

Why should I use the complete image?! I do not want to use it standalone for games only, I use my Pi as a normal pc, so I need a desktop Raspbian.

Furthermore I do not need all the – for me – useless emus (like Zork, Atari, Apple,…) nor I want to install hundreds of things and remove them afterwards! In view of this I install only parts I need since the possibility of this is part of the official setupscript, so I assume it should work!

Btw, as you can read, I also tried a complete binary install – with the same errormessage – so where is the difference?! IF there is a difference to the complete image, its definately a fault by the distributor/ bug/ whatsoever, which needs to be fixed.

maketheworldbetter
    Participant

Found out that some more people – as seen in my quote some posts above, or here
    [quote=104839]Hi,

I want to use an USB audio device with the Pi2. After installing it, no games are started anymore. The following error i can see quickly on the screen:

lvl0: VolumeControl::init() – Failed to find mixer elements
    [/quote]got this message, but both seem to have a soundcard…but why do I get this error without a soundcard?

And more important – how to fix it?

maketheworldbetter
    Participant

Ok, the image does not show this error…anyhow, changing the sdcard to play is no solution.

So what causes this message?
    I have no soundcard and never have had a soundcard connected.

How can this be fixed?

labelwhore
    Participant

Buffer Underruns occur when there is more data coming into the audio buffer than can be sent out, there are many many many reasons this can happen. I can’t speak to your specific scenario, but I have been working with digital audio for about 20 years. A buffer underrun is a very common error working with digital audio.

All I can say is that your custom install was not setup the same way as the official image, all else is guesswork.

maketheworldbetter
    Participant

I am not sure, but I think the other errors I have here and there are probably caused by

lvl0: VolumeControl::init() – Failed to find mixer elements

which is the main problem.

Regarding my custom-install: What else can I do instead of a complete binary install (which have had the same errormessage)?

maketheworldbetter
    Participant

In the meanwhile I it tried again. Ive reinstalled Retropie through uninstall from Setupscript,, complete bin install, same result. Hangs on exit or screen is flooded with audioerrors – it is unusable. I am too tired now to investigate this more; I’ll do a complete reinstall of my complete system now….including Raspbian, everything.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.