Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    vretro
    Participant

An earlier version RetroPie had an Amiga emulator with which it was possible to launch games directly via EmulationStation, but I’m not sure which?

Now there seem to be a few different Amiga emulators in development (which is great to see) – some more active than others.

Does anyone have any insight into whether launching a game, or a config file directly via EmulationStation is possible with a recently maintained Amiga Emulator, or within the realm of possibility with any of the current candidates?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

not support with the default emu. the uae4arm emulator may support it (would need to check docs of this emulator). What you could do it set it to boot to a HD with whdload installed games – which will then run quicker than running games off floppy.

jenksie
    Participant

How good is Amiga emulation on a Pi2? I’m considering picking one up for a family member for Xmas who loved the Amiga.

vretro
    Participant

Thats promising that uae4arm could support loading games from EmulationStation at some point. Does the code base have similarities to the UAE which did integrate with EmulationStation on the earlier RetroPie?

I have never tried whdload, so I will have to research that. My goal is to be able to quickly fire up any Amiga game via joypad/stick with box art, just like it is possible with consoles in EmulationStation with RetroPie, which really eliminates so much friction. The added ability to exit back to EmulationStation using Start + Select would make a big difference too.

Thanks for the pointers and for the hope of future developments

[quote=106103]not support with the default emu. the uae4arm emulator may support it (would need to check docs of this emulator). What you could do it set it to boot to a HD with whdload installed games – which will then run quicker than running games off floppy.[/quote]

vretro
    Participant

[quote=106133]How good is Amiga emulation on a Pi2?[/quote]

I can report that Amiga emulation is excellent on Raspberry Pi using RetroPie, my experience is with a RPI B+ and I have not had any speed issues.

There are a few videos on YouTube featuring Amiga Emulation on Pi2 which are worth looking at:

Here is a video of how to get setup by Floob:

Anonymous
    Inactive

A clever bod on the Pi forums came up with this solution for UAE4ARM:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=802630#p802630

UAE4ARM looks for files to automount in a particular folder with a particular filename, set in the config file. This script temporarily copies the .adf file to the appropriate location and name. For multidisk games, you can put your .adf disk images in a .zip file – it’ll unzip the files and mount them to the four disk drives. For games with more than four disks it’ll just do the first four files into the zip, as that’s all that UAE4ARM supports, but it’s a simple change to get it to copy and rename all of them so that you can load other disks in from the GUI as needed.

IIRC I needed to change a couple of bits in the script to get it to work but I think that was due to my slightly idiosyncratic RetroPie setup. If you want to get it to boot straight into the game, you can change use_gui to “no” in the UAE4ARM config file, you can still get to the menu with [Left Ctrl] to change disks and settings and stuff.

vretro
    Participant

Wow, this sounds brilliant!

The clever bod was you then? ha!

To have this piece of wizardry integrated into RetroPie would be fantastic. By the sounds of it, thats something you are working away at, thank you!

[quote=106262]A clever bod on the Pi forums came up with this solution for UAE4ARM:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=802630#p802630

IIRC I needed to change a couple of bits in the script to get it to work[/quote]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Heh, no, not me – someone called obert01 on the Raspberry Pi forums. They’re the one you should be praising, I’m just the messenger! I’ll check out how best to get it into RetroPie though – I’m thinking about modifying obert01’s script so that you can load different settings files (for example, for different models of Amiga) for different roms. I’ll keep you posted on how I get on!

nbk7
    Participant

@Billy T. or anybody else who managed to start games directly from ES:

can you please share your modified version of the script please? I tried obert01’s script and followed his steps from the raspberry forum but I only get the kickstart disk if I try to launch a game from ES.

Thanks and Regards,
    nbk7

EDIT: tried it on retropie 3.1 and the latest 3.2 version – no luck so far

yorkie
    Participant

Did anyone manage to make any changes to this magical script?

I just installed Retropie 3.3 and thought I would give it a go. I think I have made the neccesary changes, but when I try and load a game I just get to the uae4arm GUI. I think the answer might be here

[quote=106262]
    , you can change use_gui to “no” in the UAE4ARM config file, you can still get to the menu with [Left Ctrl] to change disks and settings and stuff.

[/quote]

How and where do I change use_gui?

Thanks,

g0nz0uk
    Participant

I just can’t find the link, but I saw that someone had somehow created saves states for his games at all over his games menu screens and linked them to ES, they apparently loaded instantly. He was looking at making that save state read only too.

labelwhore
    Participant

There’s another thread around here that accomplishes this. I just did it on retropie 3.3 Jessie, and it works great.

labelwhore
    Participant
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.