Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Ideas for Further Enhancements Adding Mari0 and SunVox Modular Music Studio

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    cliphead
    Participant

Mari0 can be found here.

SunVox here.

Here’s a video of someone who build a synthesizer with a Raspberry Pi 2, many buttons and the software.

VIDEO

What do you think? Would it be possible to add these two Gems to Retropie?

labelwhore
    Participant

It’s pretty easy to add software to retropie yourself. Simply install it from command line, then add a a bash script to start it so that it shows up in the ports menu.

cliphead
    Participant

“This is not to be taken lightly by Linux new-comers…” it says in the Wiki. Unfortunately I am.

labelwhore
    Participant

If it is that difficult, I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s probably going to be up to you to get added to your pi yourself, since it doesn’t have anything to do with gaming. I say this as a dedicated synth enthusiast.

It seems that only software that can be easily added via script (and so not needing additional maintenance by the good folks here) get added to the install script.

If you’re successful, I for one would like to know what sort of issues you run into. I’ve got another raspberry pi project in the works based on pure data. It’d be cool to have a sequencer running on that pi as well.

herbfargus

I’m playing with it right now. From what I understand (I could be wrong) but mari0 uses the love2d game engine. So I’m working on compiling that and then I will play with compiling the game itself.

If I can get it working I may look into adding a module for the love engine but as of right now it is taking over an hour with the sdl and lua dependencies.

Likelihood is that even if I get it working the game will be too slow to be playable enjoyably.

I haven’t looked at the synthesiser yet.

cliphead
    Participant

Thanks for your kind words. I understand that SunVox has nothing to do with Retropie. But the fact that you could use your Raspberry-Arcade (and it’s buttons) for more than emulating games (like the Kodi Mediacenter does) was worth asking. SunVox on it’s own uses a tracker (like the Famitracker) and can produce music not unlike chiptune. People who use “Nanoloop” or “LSDJ” would love it. I see a relation there ;)

Mari0 on the other hand is a game and I would love to play Multiplayer or design own levels on my Retropie.

cliphead
    Participant

Thanks Herbfargus!
    …that was quick. Can’t thank you enough for trying!

:)

herbfargus

alright: very very basic steps:

This is assuming you are using the jessie image:

drop to terminal with f4

cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo ./retropie_packages.sh sdl2

Will take a LONG time

cd

then create a script called love.sh with the contents:

apt-get install build-essential automake libtool libphysfs-dev libsdl-dev libopenal-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libdevil-dev libmodplug-dev libfreetype6-dev libmpg123-dev libvorbis-dev libmng-dev libxpm-dev devscripts debhelper dh-autoreconf libasound2-dev libudev-dev libdbus-1-dev libx11-dev libxcursor-dev libxext-dev libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxss-dev libxt-dev libxxf86vm-dev
    wget https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/downloads/love-0.10.0-linux-src.tar.gz
    tar zxvf love-0.10.0-linux-src.tar.gz
    cd love-0.10.0
    ./configure --with-lua=lua
    make

Make it executable:

sudo chmod +x love.sh

Run as sudo:

sudo ./love.sh

Takes a while and then you can open it with

./love-0.10.0/src/love

Now to see if I can actually get a game to run on it…

Just for reference: these are the two main posts:

http://forum.stabyourself.net/viewtopic.php?t=4356

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=90184

herbfargus

This may be a much simpler method:

Would anyone be able to compile this for retropie?
    byu/Matty_B90 inRetroPie

but I don’t know if it will work on jessie (nor do I think that it will work on newer versions of love) and I’m thinking its likely you’ll need some instance of xserver to make it work. in short it may be more trouble than its worth to try and integrate especially considering that there is no upstream development.

jeffdamann
    Participant

I got a nice fellow named radgerayden from the #love irc channel to start development on a love 0.10.0 port. That version of love has GLES support so we may see something come out of it.

You can see the github repository here.

jeffdamann
    Participant

https://github.com/radgeRayden/future-mari0

href wasnt working sorry.

Anyways I just tested his test build, and it works 100% flawlessly with the newest version of love with no slowdown or any odd graphical glitches. The only thing its missing at this time is joypad support. Im glad my day of trying to get this work after seeing this thread paid off.

You have to compile the new version of love yourself though, but otherwise it works great!

Give your love to radgerayden!

herbfargus

You are a fantastic man and just validated all of my efforts. THANK YOU!

jeffdamann
    Participant

Im trying other love games now but am finding it hard to find 0.10.0 games since it was just released late december.

However this bodes well for the future and I feel if more games are made for it it would be a quality addition to retropie.

Maybe we should make a Love thread?

herbfargus

Its definitely worth pursuing if there will be dev support on the games. a module should be possible to code in if thats the case.

jeffdamann
    Participant

Ok here is how I compiled love on wheezy.

Install mercurial

sudo apt-get install mercurial

Clone the Love repo

sudo hg clone https://bitbucket.org/rude/love

Install dependencies

sudo apt-get install build-essential automake libtool libphysfs-dev libsdl-dev libopenal-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libdevil-dev libmodplug-dev libfreetype6-dev libmpg123-dev libvorbis-dev libmng-dev libxpm-dev libxcursor-dev libXxf86vm-dev

Navigate here

cd /root/love

Run automagic

sudo ./platform/unix/automagic

Configure

sudo ./configure --with-lua=lua

Make

make

Install

sudo make install

Run your game using love "game.love"

Someone let me know if my steps didnt work, I didnt document what I was doing along the way and it was hard to remember. You can test love by just using love without a game. If you get a segmentation fault error(which I did) just reboot.

herbfargus

Just for reference I’ve logged a ticket here on GitHub with a working module to add Mari0 to ports. Eventually I’d like to have a game selector rather than coding it specific to one game.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/issues/1194

Anonymous
    Inactive

I might sound dumb here but is this that mario/portal game? Adding this to ports would be amazing, what about controller support? I never actually played it before

herbfargus

yes it is the mario portal game and its awesome

and no there is no joypad support (yet)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah man, I love portal, and I love mario, that’s like a match made in heaven, Im excited for the possibilities, just in case no one was aware, there is a sonic/portal hack available for megadrive, it’s ok, I’m sure mari0 is better though

herbfargus

Just for reference its been added to the experimental section of the setup script:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/commit/6b752d1f5cb162e96f519e74b26e70a803a94bae

jeffdamann
    Participant

ooh thats nice, I will test it out when i fire up one of my spare pi’s

herbfargus

Should work on wheezy and Jessie. Of course performance on the rpi 1 isn’t as good as the rpi2. Perhaps we should start another thread with good love games that can be added to retropie (gpl licensed of course)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Deleted, just needed reboot, too excited forgot to reboot

cliphead
    Participant

You guys are brilliant! I LÖVE YOU!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.