Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    thefunkygibbon
    Participant

Hi all,

Are we able to throw and run all of our roms into the respective folders and leave them as zip files (or 7z)? From what I’ve read on the wiki there are specific file formats which the emulators require and zips are rarely one of the choices.

If the emulator doesnt support the zip files natively then surely there could be a way for ES/RP to be able to unzip them before it runs, given that a majority of roms are relatively small in size. I understand that things like PSX isos would need to be extracted already else it would take forever to unzip before running. But anything <20mb or so should be quite quick to do on a pi2?

the only reason i ask is that my collection of roms is crazy big zipped, unzipped is going to be ridiculous and will need to buy a larger SD card. :)

robertybob
    Participant

IIRC, you can with certain emulators – check the Wiki. However, RetroArch will simply unzip a rom the first time you play it and then leave it unzipped alongside the zip file – basically duplicating the files.

I may be wrong though.

thefunkygibbon
    Participant

ah ok. its not going to be much use it it duplicates the roms then as it would then be listing 2 of each game that I’ve played in the past.
    I’ve checked the wiki and the ones that apparently support zipped roms are the obvious ones like MAME where roms come as zips anyway.

shame really, as it means my 11gb of zipped roms will need a 64gb card. :(

herbfargus

It must be difficult to find a place to store all these original game cartridges that you own.

I figure if you can afford that many games surely an extra $15 for a 64gb sd card shouldn’t be an issue.

thefunkygibbon
    Participant

its all good. I have a garage to store them all in. I was donated them all by my late uncle. :)

out of interest, why the facetiousness?

robertybob
    Participant

No one wants to be seen to be promoting the illegial downloading of games, but thankfully we all own the originals (!) lol

thefunkygibbon
    Participant

lol yes i appreciate the legality aspect. I’ve been into retrogaming and the emulation scene for about 18 years now (wow i feel old now :( ) I’ve heard every argument going for and against ROMs etc.
    Given that there are hundreds of emulators and systems which run emulators, Retropie is not a high enough profile to make the Emulator police start hunting down the developers of this with C&D letters rather than the developers of the emulators themselves or the sites which allow the roms to be downloaded. So really there is no need to pretend.

I don’t see him chiming in on every single MAME related query asking them about the warehouse they would have to own to store all of the original cabinets/jamma boards. ;)

The zip question is indeed a valid one which I think many people would benefit from, so i can’t see the need for a sarcastic and flippant remark.

Maybe he forgot a wink smiley…. then it would have all been fine :)

herbfargus

;)

petrockblog
    Keymaster

whether or not you think there is a risk, you don’t run this forum. It’s wise to be discreet when discussing things. You got that reply due to your last paragraph in the first post. I thought the same TBH.

thefunkygibbon
    Participant

[quote=106358]?

[/quote]

:)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.