Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    maplicito
    Participant

I can’t seem to connect to a wifi network. I have a TL-WN725N, and I am pretty sure I have successfully installed it – when I go to configure wifi via the retropie menu in Emulationstation, I do see wireless networks. However, if I select any of them, it will say it’s “Obtaining IP address” for some time, until it eventually quits trying.

The menu along the bottom gives the option of “Config”ing the connection, but the hot key next to it is “->” and I have no idea what key on my keyboard that is supposed to represent, so I can’t use it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

maplicito
    Participant

Well… I feel like an idiot – I just realized what “->” means – I think I have it set up – I’ll come back here if it doesn’t work.

maplicito
    Participant

I still seem to be having problems. I can connect, but the connection keeps going up and down.

I have done: sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

And I have written it this way:

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid “NETWORK_NAME”
    wpa-psk “NETWORK_PASSWORD”

I have also tried:

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid “NETWORK_NAME”
    wpa-psk “NETWORK_PASSWORD”
    wireless-power off

Any other suggestions?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

It won’t auto connect doing it that way – so better to use wpa wpa supplicant roaming feature. Put the file as it was before, and update retropie-setup – you will then find a wifi configuration tool under supplementary menu.

maplicito
    Participant

But I did have it connecting on its own – before I made those changes, the retropie wifi configuration tool couldn’t see any networks.

I’m not trying to be contrary here – the truth is, I am very new to Linux and don’t really know well what I’m doing – just telling you what I’m seeing here.

I also noticed that when it is connected, it says “Connected to Cisco05497” Nickname: “Wifi@realtek 0%

Is it just not generating a strong enough signal? The router is in the same room, maybe 15 feet or so from my pi, so I wouldn’t have thought signal was an issue.

If you still think I should change the file back, I will give it a try – is there a concise walkthrough somewhere for using the wpa supplicant roaming feature?

herbfargus

sometimes you have to check the list a few times as the scan sometimes doesn’t work the first time.

If you want to configure it manually:

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
    auto wlan0

iface wlan0 inet manual
    wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    iface default inet dhcp

and edit wpa supplicant

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
    update_config=1

network={
        ssid="NETWORK_NAME"
        psk="NETWORK_PASSWORD"
    }

There are known issues with your wireless dongle as well- new ones are pretty cheap (<$20)

maplicito
    Participant

Well, it still has the exact same issue after following your directions. It will say it is connected, but lists itself as 0% (I assume that is signal strength?) I’m going to go out on a limb, and assume that it’s the adaptor, and that it’s probably not going to be worth the fight to make it work.

I do plan to get a new adaptor, but I have my brother visiting with his kids next week, and had hoped to have wireless working before they got here. This limits what they can do with it somewhat, but they should still be able to have some fun with it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.