Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    d8thstar
    Participant

hi all,

just as i thought i was done…

i took my little box over to a friends house, plugged HDMI into their brand new 70″ HDTV, boot my box, i get the linux text crawl, the retropie splash, the emulationstation splash and then… a white screen. i can still ssh into the machine so it isn’t frozen.

in fact, the same thing happens at my house when plugged in directly via hdmi. my test environment is with an hdmi to vga converter with zero video issues. soon as i go direct hdmi, the dreaded white screen.

i have edited the config.txt file and have been able to successfully force 720P video but trying to force 1080P resorts to the same white screen.

anyone have any thoughts or ideas? i have tried all options but soon as i hit 1080P over HDMI, the white screen.

brunchero
    Participant

I’d say, video memory size. Having (too) many emulators populated in emulation station thingy. But I see you already have posted in that thread.

More then 12 Emulators active

But when 720p is working, and 1080p causes ES to freeze, this is still my best guess. I reduced the resolution of the blurred background images in the simple theme to 360p, as devo wrote. And removing emulators is probably no desired option.

d8thstar
    Participant

thanks for the tip brunchero. any chance you have a link or walk thru on how which images and where and what resolution they need to be at?

i am happy with the 720 but would be happier at the full 1080P :)

thanks again bud

brunchero
    Participant

Yes, again I do not know, whether paths have changed in 3.0 beta2. It might be somewhere in home/pi or opt now. But in 2.6 it is, like es_systems.cfg:
    /etc/emulationstation/

The subfolder “themes” contains “simple” theme with all emulation systems, more than actually available on retropie. So I only changed the ones I actually use. (If you are using another theme, then you’d have to look inside those xml-files to find out which file is referenced as background.)

Each System contains a folder “art” with the relevant image, mostly it is called *_blur.
    /etc/emulationstation/themes/simple/pcengine/art/tg16_art_blur.jpg
    They are in resolution 1280×720, and reducing them to 640×320 reduces the pixels by 75%.

Now a nice linux command for imagemagick would be handy, to convert all images at once in those folders – but unfortunately I can not provide such. Instead I copied the files via SCP to my Windows+Gimp and did it manually. For 25+ systems that is probably not an elegant way.

I really hope that helps, good luck :)

d8thstar
    Participant

BOOM! that did the trick, thanks a ton brunchero.

ceuse
    Participant

a Upvode on my Topic or a quick shoutout on my github issue would be apreciated :-) the main problem is that the gamelists are loaded on startup. sadly it seems they dont care/work on it :-(

d8thstar
    Participant

happy to, but how do i do it? :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.