Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    giorgiofox
    Participant

Hello,
    I’m using retropie 2.5 and spent some hours scraping all the games.

Now I want to backup this data, where are stored on pi?

thanks
    Giorgio

motown
    Participant

Hi, I too am after this information.

I have completed a complete scrape and clean up for RetroPie 2.3 and want to do the 2.5 and RPi2 upgrade but don’t want to spend all that time going through the process again.

Is there a way in which to just copy the roms/images folder over and it keeps the data?

Cheers and sorry for the post hijack :)

Floob

The defaults are stored in:
    /home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists

This may also help:

motown
    Participant

Thanks for that Floob, your videos are a major help!

I have gone through and backed up all rom folders and the ‘image’ folder that I scraped along with the gamelist.xml as listed above.

Can I assume that a simple copy over of these gameslists, roms/images into the new retropie 2.5 will carry over the metadata?

:)

Floob

Yes, both use EmulationStation 2 – so shouldnt be an issue.
    Personally I’d use sselphs scraper (does MAME as well now!) – takes literally minutes to do a full romset.

runy
    Participant

Hi,

Is possible to change the path of the scraped files are storaged?

I have all roms storaged in a Network Drive so, I think would be a good idea save the scrapped files in the same location.

sselph
    Participant

ES currently checks the rom folder first. So you can place the gamelist in the same folder as the roms themselves and it should work. The images can be anywhere as long as the gamelist is referencing the correct location. So you’d need to do some find and replace foo in the existing gamelist if you wanted to move images.

The default behavior of my scraper is to run it inside the rom directory and it creates the images and gamelist in that folder so the entire thing can be moved together. This was the opposite of the ES approach where he wanted to keep the rom folder free of extra stuff.

runy
    Participant

Tannks sselph,

I think so now, is the best moment to try your scraper :-)

ericahlers
    Participant

So I followed Floob’s video and used the sselph scraper to scrape my roms, which it looks like it did just fine. However, ES shows the metadata, but not the picture. Per the gameslist.xml, it appears to be linking to the right folder (images folder within each rom folder). Any ideas what is going on or how to fix it? I did attempt to use the ES scraper first, but due to all the freezing and missed scrapes, I moved on.

EDIT: I should note that the MAME roms are working flawlessly and the scraped images do appear. It’s all the other systems that arent working.

Thanks

robertybob
    Participant

Not much help I know, but the only thing I can think of is the path to the images is the issue.

sselph
    Participant

I don’t want to derail the topic too much but the only things I can think of are that the permissions on the image folders is messed up or there is possibly some odd file naming I am not handling correctly. You can run sudo ~/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_setup.sh and under setup there is an option reset ownership/permissions of roms. If that doesn’t work, you could send me a private message with a snippet of your gamelist.xml so I can see a few of the image lines. Also a snippet of the results of ls ~/RetroPie/roms/<emulator>/images so I can see how the file actually appear in the filesystem.

ericahlers
    Participant

I managed to fix it. I tried all fixes simlutaneously, so I’m not sure which one specifically solved my issue. I:
    1. Ensured full privileges to the roms and images folders
    2. Deleted all pre-exisiting images (both in rom folders and .emulationstation
    3. Deleted all gameslist.xml files from the roms folders, and replaced all gameslist.xml files from within .emulationstation folder with empty gameslist.xml
    4. Re-run the scraper
    5. Success

Thanks for the help guys. I suspects having tried the native ES scraper first is what messed everything up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.