Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Whats your OverClock settings? :)

Viewing 33 posts - 71 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    newbee12345
    Participant

So what is recommended for the RPI2? I’ve read that if you overclock it, you run the risk of corrupting the SD card.

pimpmyrig
    Participant

i’m using RPi2 and the overclock settings I used is the preset one for RPi2. Hope it is the right choice.

trixster
    Participant

Pi2, 1100Mhz, core at 550 and sdram at 483 with overvolt of 6 works really well for me, no lockups at all.

max0r
    Participant

I’m very new to the Raspberry Pi and overclocking, but I can reproduce segmentation faults with sdram_freq >= 510 on my RasPi 2.
    With sdram_freq=500 everything works fine and as soon as I set sdram_freq to 510 or higher, a lot segfaults occur. So my working settings are now

arm_freq=1000

core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=500
    over_voltage=2
    gpu_mem=384
    gpu_mem_256=128
    gpu_mem_512=256
    gpu_mem_1024=256
    elgur85
    Participant

I’m running on “Meduim” overclock trough Raspi-config now with a Raspberry Pi B with heatsinks. “Normal” temperature at console is about 46 degrees, isn’t that a bit high? Right after I quit ES using NES emulator, it’s about 51 degrees.

cortex
    Participant

[quote=93084]

gpu_mem=384
    gpu_mem_256=128
    gpu_mem_512=256
    gpu_mem_1024=256

[/quote]

max0r, the memory-split settings you do in raspi-config don’t effect anything, because the Memory-split is hard written into the lines below:

gpu_mem_256=128
    gpu_mem_512=256
    gpu_mem_1024=256

So this means if you’re on raspi-model with 256MB ram, the gpu will get 128 mb ram.
    if you’re on a 512MB ram model, the gpu will get 256MB ram
    and if you’re on the pi2 with 1024MB ram, the gpu will get 256MB.

If you really want to change this, you have to Change the configuration of your raspi-model so for raspi2
    gpu_mem_1024=384
    but I don’t think that this will run emulators smoother than the default-settings.

elgur85
    Participant

[quote=2077]Hey, just wondering what people have as their overclock settings, with my settings I have near perfect playback of all systems, and PSX plays perfect.

arm_freq=1000
    gpu_mem=384
    avoid_safe_mode=1
    core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=500
    over_voltage=4
    force_turbo=0
    [/quote]

I tried using these settings, but my Pi freezes when it’s getting close to 60 degrees celsius when playing SNES games. :(

Edit: I changed to “Medium” overclock using raspi-config. Then it doesn’t get warmer then 50 degrees.

trixster
    Participant

The temperature won’t be an issue. These CPUs are good for 85 degrees before they start to throttle. It’s more likely your cpu or ram or both cannot handle to overclock settings. Maybe drop the ram overclock a little and overvolt it a touch.

elgur85
    Participant

[quote=93458]The temperature won’t be an issue. These CPUs are good for 85 degrees before they start to throttle. It’s more likely your cpu or ram or both cannot handle to overclock settings. Maybe drop the ram overclock a little and overvolt it a touch.[/quote]

Thanks, I will give that a try. :)

patrickm
    Participant

I’m using the “Pi 2” setting on my Pi 2. I don’t think there’s any appreciable difference between this setting and “turbo,” except that turbo is a lot less stable and causes my pi to freeze at startup.

I think turbo is like 100mhz faster or something. Not really worth it IMO. PSX runs at 100% speed with the hyllian glow shader, I’m a happy camper. :)

trixster
    Participant

The problem is the pi2 does not like sdram being pushed to 500mhz. It’s much more stable dialled back to 483. Check this link for a good analysis of pi2 overclocking.

http://linuxonflash.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/a-look-at-raspberry-pi-2-performance.html

charco
    Participant

Hi, I have set my new Pi 2 to the “Pi 2” overclock setting.

Do I need to have my Pi 2 overclocked to get the optimum emulation for N64 and PS1?

I have it enabled but do not have a heatsink, is this safe?

Should I disable it if there is no real performance increase?

Omnija
    Participant

I also noticed that i had some issues when using the default rpi2 overclock. For some reason i kept ending up with stalling and unresponsiveness, had to putty reset it.

I was wondering if someone could take a look at my config. I’d basically like to give it a bit of a boost, while having it dial down when not being used.

# overclock
    arm_freq=1000
    sdram_freq=465 (450)
    core_freq=465 (450)
    #over_voltage=2

# overclock idle
    arm_freq_min=900
    sdram_freq_min=450
    core_freq_min=250
    initial_turbo = 30

Also id like to know how harmful it is to raise the core_freq since it’s being raised almost double the default value?

@charco
    psx runs well with out overclocking since i haven’t overclocked mine yet and it works great, as for the n64 it takes some tinkering.

charco
    Participant

Ah ok, thanks for your reply. I think I am going to go with not overclocking. I am mostly interested in 2d games so it probably isn’t necessary.

I have had lots of trouble trying to set this up all week and my sd card is corrupted again.

Omnija
    Participant

[quote=98175]Ah ok, thanks for your reply. I think I am going to go with not overclocking. I am mostly interested in 2d games so it probably isn’t necessary.

I have had lots of trouble trying to set this up all week and my sd card is corrupted again.

[/quote]

Do you think it’s due to overclocking or is it possible it’s due to sd card failing?

charco
    Participant

Yeah I think the card was corrupt so I formatted it and wrote the RetroPie 3.0 image to it again.

Omnija
    Participant

I decided to try out the settings the other day with

# overclock
    arm_freq=1000
    sdram_freq=465
    core_freq=465

# overclock idle
    arm_freq_min=900
    sdram_freq_min=450
    core_freq_min=250
    initial_turbo = 30

And seems to work great, i noticed games like mario kart 64 not stalling on start of races anymore. 2D games where it gets crowded with animations don’t seem to slow down much or at all. PSX games seem to load faster and run smoother and same results as the 2D games where it doesn’t seem to slow down as much during crowded screens.

When i tried the default rpi2 overclock settings, i tend to have a lot of lock ups or non responsiveness exiting kodi which doesn’t happen anymore (at least not the last day or so).

kitchuk
    Participant

What would you guys recommend for a conservative overclock for the Pi 2. Nothing too major.

I don’t want to put too much stress/heat on my new Pi 2!

Omnija
    Participant

how much does gpu_mem_1024=320 affect the system?

And should my setting be underclocked for idle using _min?
    ex. 900 to 400 or something similar?

stahl80
    Participant

I running the settings below but I’m still having huge issues with NES and SNES, Most annoying is the super choppy sound but also slow gameplay. I had an old version installed before that played perfect on the same hardware but after flashing my SD with the latest version I’m having a lot of issues :(. the overclocking is an attempt to solv the issues but not helped to much.

# uncomment for composite PAL
    #sdtv_mode=2

# for more options see http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
    gpu_mem_256=128
    gpu_mem_512=256
    gpu_mem_1024=256

overscan_scale=1
    disable_audio_dither=1
    arm_freq=1000
    core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=600
    over_voltage=6
    gpu_mem=256

dankcushions
    Participant

sounds like some other problem. those cores should run fine with no overclock.

are you using shaders? are you getting the rainbow/voltage symbol in the corner? i’d get rid of all your overclock settings. maybe restore from a new image, even.

stahl80
    Participant

Thanks!
    I did try a new clean install, issue persisted….
    Now when you mention it i did have a small box in the corner red/blue/green or something during boot. But same issue without overclock settings.
    Found a solution, got out and bought a pi2 :). Works like a charm now :)

Thanks for the help!

dankcushions
    Participant

oh- a pi1! that explains it :) sorry, assumed you were using a pi2!

stahl80
    Participant

Hehe :)

Is the Pi1 B+ that bad with emulators?
    Before i did any update it worked great for NES, SNES and Genesis. I wonder what overclock settings was used (i did not install it).

With Pi2 it great without any overclock at all (not using N64 or PSX).

Tried to find more setting to optimize performance ot the Pi2, shaders, memory split and so on but hard to fins anything specific….

Anonymous
    Inactive

So I set my overclock to turbo last night, and now my Pi freezes on startup.
    Is there a way I can change the overclock settings without wiping the SD card and starting over???

EDIT: I Figured it out! Never mind!

staticc
    Participant

Has anyone had any luck overclocking a Pi3 yet?

Anonymous
    Inactive

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Overclocking

I’ve only got my arm_freq to 1.35 ghz and overvolted=6 with positive effects, but I’m going to try these recommended settings tonight.

pi-guy
    Participant

I tried overclocking to the settings you specified but the pi3 would start and stall at the RetroPie Splash screen (didn’t get to emulation station splash screen). Tried multiple times.

Would you mind uploading your config.txt so I can compare yours and mine – I’m running the latest 3.6 RetroPie image (no berryboot)?

I could have done something wrong. Plus I have no heatsinks or fan…yet…just got my pi3 today – that might be it.

Also, don’t know if you wrote the github article but I don’t see a 640 X 480 16:9 option in Glide and I love me some Killer Instinct.
    Thanks for the help

I must say though that the RPI3 is awesome! I used to have issues with all my roms loaded (almost 6000 across 17 emulator sections) and the menu hanging or missing images – or it may have been all the scrapping and game images that were loaded – but that problem is no longer present. I don’t know if it’s the RPI3 or the latest retropie release that I’m running that fixed it – but I’m VERY happy now with my setup even if the wifi wants to constantly drop.

I did up arm_freq to 1100 (the only setting I’ve changed in the config.txt now) and killer instinct on n64 runs much better after one level but then screen remenants and trails are present heavily on battle 2.

g0nz0uk
    Participant

Are many others over clocking the pi3?

raymate
    Participant

Yes pushed mine to:

arm_freq=1350
    sdram_freq=450
    core_freq=525
    over_voltage=4

Seems OK right now, been running it for a couple of days, I will add for sure a small FAN it’s getting hot :)

With regards to fans is anyone using a fan to cool Pis? just ordered a small 40mm 5v fan and wondered are people pushing or pulling air over the CPU, I’m just going to use fan no heatsink. Iv read it’s about the same, any real world results with pis in cases

pi-guy
    Participant

@g0nz0uk
    Not that I’ve seen, I keep hearing that overclocking will shorten the life of the Pi but I didn’t have any issues with overclocking the Pi2 for almost 2 years. I honestly believe that purely overclocking the Pi doesn’t reduce the life – heat does (experience: Sr. Systems Administrator for fortune 500 company) – so if you don’t have a proper cooling solution and if you don’t keep an eye on temperatures to make sure the solution is “acceptable” then you’re looking at frying it. The reason I’m trying to overclock is Rom/Emulator performance – some Roms play much better with overclocked settings especially PS, N64 and DreamCast roms. For instance Super Smash Bros on N64 and MDK II on Dreamcast can be tweaked to be pretty-playable with overclock settings – Menu’s look like garbage but game play is decent.

@raymate

I’ve been thinking of getting a cooling solution myself. I’ve seen (on Ebay) heatsinks with fans attached (yes, screwed onto the heatsink) probably best solution for my setup. You’ll definitely want to either go with a fan-in-case or a modular case (like the official rasp pi case) where you can remove the top without the case falling apart. I saw a few youtube videos, one guy does specific measurements with/without fan, with/without heatsink, and combinations of the 4. According to his results, the heatsinks are worthless but for as cheap as they are I would probably do it regardless. I noticed about a 5-10C change on my Pi2 after installing 3 heatsinks w/o fan. And the heat sinks are soo cheap – plus it kind of makes the board “look” a bit more sophisticated. No matter where you buy the heatsinks from I would almost certainly rip the tape off and replace it with double-sided thermal tape – you can remove the original tape from the heatsinks with a razor blade and alcohol. I love that they have the fans powered by the GPIO board now and provide the proper connectors for it. I’d also be curious if there’s a way to change the fan speed, I’d probably run mine at a higher RPM – the fan would probably die faster but for $5 to replace….who cares? As for push/pull – it again depends on your case IMHO, most Pi cases I’ve seen have poor ventilation, I would most likely push from outside case to inside case if your using a standard case, pulling from inside the case to the outside may decrease fan life due to lack of ventilation. My thoughts…when I get a fan/heatsink combo…is that I would create some ventilation holes/strips at strategic locations along the sides of the case using a Dremel tool. Just my two cents. Let me know what you decide to go with if you have time.

dankcushions
    Participant

i’m interested in what the GPU overclocks yield. the pi2 had a strange relationship with the GPU and core (L2 cache) clock speed, but i’m not sure how it is the pi3. you can also clock the v3d speed separately, but again, there were ratios involved. it wasn’t always as simple as ‘make it higher. see http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Clocks_relationship and http://linuxonflash.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/a-look-at-raspberry-pi-2-performance.html and

dreamcast, n64 and ppsspp don’t max the pi3 CPU at standard clock speeds so i don’t see any sort of CPU overclocking helping that sort of emulation on the pi3, but it depends on the various relationships at play.

raymate
    Participant

@pi-guy You have some good ideas there, Have a few cases and your right most don’t have good ventilation/holes

For my final config I have ordered a generic looking case from Amazon it has no fan but does have mount points for a fan with plenty of vent hole at the bottom and top, as such I may pull the air out of the case with the fan I hope this will draw air over the board from the bottom vent holes. I have a few 40mm fans lying around but ordered a 40mm noctua 5v fan for the reduce db level that it has,

Running the fan from the GPIO pins 5v rail.

Not going to bother with heat sink I feel the fan will be enough. With my 40mm fan testing I have dropped the temp a good 15-20c thats plenty I believe.

I have used heatsinks on my pi1 and pi2 but to be honest I don’t think they really need them

But your right over clocking will not kill a Pi but the heat will. Like you I have run my over clocked pis for years now with just heat sink and in cases with no ventilation to speak of and they are still running fine.

The Pi3 clocking settings are more hit and miss at the moment, It would be nice if an official overclock setting was released by the Pi Foundation

Once I get my fan and case sorted I will add a pic, the fan will be with me next week the case on the other hand is on a boat from China so who knows :)

[quote=121845] @g0nz0uk
    Not that I’ve seen, I keep hearing that overclocking will shorten the life of the Pi but I didn’t have any issues with overclocking the Pi2 for almost 2 years. I honestly believe that purely overclocking the Pi doesn’t reduce the life – heat does (experience: Sr. Systems Administrator for fortune 500 company) – so if you don’t have a proper cooling solution and if you don’t keep an eye on temperatures to make sure the solution is “acceptable” then you’re looking at frying it. The reason I’m trying to overclock is Rom/Emulator performance – some Roms play much better with overclocked settings especially PS, N64 and DreamCast roms. For instance Super Smash Bros on N64 and MDK II on Dreamcast can be tweaked to be pretty-playable with overclock settings – Menu’s look like garbage but game play is decent.

@raymate
    I’ve been thinking of getting a cooling solution myself. I’ve seen (on Ebay) heatsinks with fans attached (yes, screwed onto the heatsink) probably best solution for my setup. You’ll definitely want to either go with a fan-in-case or a modular case (like the official rasp pi case) where you can remove the top without the case falling apart. I saw a few youtube videos, one guy does specific measurements with/without fan, with/without heatsink, and combinations of the 4. According to his results, the heatsinks are worthless but for as cheap as they are I would probably do it regardless. I noticed about a 5-10C change on my Pi2 after installing 3 heatsinks w/o fan. And the heat sinks are soo cheap – plus it kind of makes the board “look” a bit more sophisticated. No matter where you buy the heatsinks from I would almost certainly rip the tape off and replace it with double-sided thermal tape – you can remove the original tape from the heatsinks with a razor blade and alcohol. I love that they have the fans powered by the GPIO board now and provide the proper connectors for it. I’d also be curious if there’s a way to change the fan speed, I’d probably run mine at a higher RPM – the fan would probably die faster but for $5 to replace….who cares? As for push/pull – it again depends on your case IMHO, most Pi cases I’ve seen have poor ventilation, I would most likely push from outside case to inside case if your using a standard case, pulling from inside the case to the outside may decrease fan life due to lack of ventilation. My thoughts…when I get a fan/heatsink combo…is that I would create some ventilation holes/strips at strategic locations along the sides of the case using a Dremel tool. Just my two cents. Let me know what you decide to go with if you have time.

[/quote]

Viewing 33 posts - 71 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.