Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    charco
    Participant

Hi all, I plan on buying a Pi 2 this week and had a few questions before I make my purchase.

From various tutorials and things I have read online while researching, I see that roms can be loaded from usb instead of the SD card. Should I spend less on the SD by getting a smaller card and spend more on a larger usb flash drive?

I plan on emulating all the 8 and 16 bit consoles, MAME, Neo Geo, and TG16 CD and Mega CD and maybe a few PSX games.

I plan on getting the Pi 2, case, micro sd and reader, hdmi cable, and a usb flash drive. I have a usb keyboard from an old desktop and a wired 360 pad. Anything else I would need or general advice?

Thanks in advance.

charco
    Participant

I went ahead and ordered everything and went for a 32GB micro SD card as that seems to be the biggest I can use.

herbfargus

I use a 64 GB microsd sandisk ultra and it works fine for me

charco
    Participant

Ah, I should have gotten one of those! Did you have to format it or anything that a noob like me would have difficulty doing? :p

herbfargus

I just used SD formatter, then used win32diskimager to write the SD image then used raspiconfig to expand it to use all of the space.

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/First-Installation-(RetroPie-SD-Image-2.6)

The guide works for 3.0 as well. Most configurations can be done from the new retropie menu in emulation station. I have 3 or 4 microsd cards- I use smaller ones for testing and have a 64 GB one for my main setup. It was good for me to have a few because I corrupted one beyond repair. They are relatively cheap from Amazon.

charco
    Participant

Thanks man, I appreciate the help. Really looking forward to my Pi 2 arriving and setting it up!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.