Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project What emulator are you using for SNES?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    somail
    Participant

I am currently using retroarch and I have noticed problems in certain games. Which emulator do you guys think works best: snes9x or pisnes. I care about function more than flair.

My problem if anyone feels like reading:

Sometimes the 2nd player controller will not work unless player 1 has a button pressed. Examples are the menuu select in DK Country and Super Bomberman.

Problem has been confirmed in :

2 player SNES issues

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/issues/158

brooksyx
    Participant

No issues with pockesnet, the default emu. PiSNES doesn’t support super fx games and havent really tried SNES9x

kitchuk
    Participant

I did use Pisnes for a while but it doesn’t support the dpad on my xbox pad yet. Went back to the retroarch pocketsnes. I mostly annoyed that no emulators run Super Mario All-Stars…

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

brooksyx
    Participant

[quote=4288] I mostly annoyed that no emulators run Super Mario All-Stars…

[/quote]

Are the same controller problems present in ‘Super Mario All-stars + Super Mario World’?

kitchuk
    Participant

Yep, unfortunately it’s both versions of this compilation.

somail
    Participant

hmmm so it seems the retroarch option is still the best we have.

Thanks for your guy’s input.

roquen
    Participant

Is pocketsnes the default SNES emulator for RetroPie?

If so, my only issue with it is that it doesn’t create a save file, and in some games it (for whatever reason) has trouble with layering and opacity text.

IE: In Super Mario Kart, the game puts an opacified-number noting your current place on the top of the user-space but pocketsnes renders this layer under-neath.

I don’t know why the emulator itself would be at fault, but the problem is correlative and only occurs when pocketsnes is used.

I have zero controller issues with the default retropie emulator

kitchuk
    Participant

Yes it’s the default. Do you mean you cannot save any games? Odd.

somail
    Participant

[quote=4308]Is pocketsnes the default SNES emulator for RetroPie?
    IE: In Super Mario Kart, the game puts an opacified-number noting your current place on the top of the user-space but pocketsnes renders this layer under-neath.
    [/quote]

I noticed the same issue. If I read things correctly we are using an older emulator core as it tends to run faster. I think there have been a lot of SNES emulation fixes which are not currently on the RPI.

brooksyx
    Participant

[quote=4324]
    I noticed the same issue. If I read things correctly we are using an older emulator core as it tends to run faster. I think there have been a lot of SNES emulation fixes which are not currently on the RPI.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I think SNES emulation still has a long way to go on the Pie but it should be doable as long as there interest in the project. I see no reason why this console can’t be emulated at a truly enjoyable speed for most games. Not gonna hold my breath to much for N64 though, sure Mario 64 and Mario Kart will reach playable speeds but doubt that the whole N64 library will run at those speeds. That’s okay I am more of a SNES guy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.