Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Video Samples for Each Game

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    saiyaneye
    Participant

Can this be done or has it been done with RetroPi? Or is the Raspberry Pi 2 too slow to load videos in a timely fashion from the SD? <—- Wish they had a SATA port on the Raspberry Pi!

Hyperspin does a great job with this. I was wondering if you could just use the samples they provide?

dankcushions
    Participant

not within retropie, but you can do it on the raspberry pi – http://attractmode.org/

i think it would be cool if retropie had the option of the attactmode front end (especially since emulationstation isn’t getting updated right now). in fact, i might do a thread on this in the suggestions forum!

saiyaneye
    Participant

I am completly new to all of this and yeah I just figured out that RetroPi is the “OS” and EmulationStation is the FrontEnd.

I don’t even own a Pi yet, getting there with my broke @$$.

AttractMode makes me kind of horny just looking at it XD Looks very attractive for a frontend.

tipoto
    Participant

I personally use Attract-Mode as frontend and retropie to manage my roms and emulators, so I get the best for each parts ;)
    The snapvideos work great on both SD card or external HD (now I use an external hdd). You can also create a lot of animations in your layouts without any slow down, as long as you don’t use their animation modules which just kill the Pi.

momaw27
    Participant

Hey tipoto!

Any chance of putting up a video of what you’ve created?

tipoto
    Participant

I’ll try to do a little video (probably next week) to show the potential of using Attract-Mode with Retropie, I also have a few things that can be interesting to show ;). My retro-gaming arcade console project is completely in work in progress, I have been working on this since the rpi2 was released and I think I have done only half of what I really want to do… But the main features are already done (system to get RGB leds inside arcade buttons that change depending of the game you pick, OpenBOR system included, elaborate random game selection system, layouts with animations, filters and videosnaps…). Hopefully I will finish this project someday, because it takes a lot of time ;)

tipoto
    Participant

I attached 2 snapshots to give an idea of what you can do with Attract-Mode on the Pi, everything is animated, works smoothly and is in 1920×1080.
    This is the only layout I created yet, since I’m not working on this part for the moment, I did this layout just to see how far I could push the Pi2 with Attract-Mode then planning with my results (for what I have left to do). My conclusion is that you can really do lot of things! I have to mention the code for the wheel system comes from an existing layout, I modified it though, for all the other animations (that you can’t see on the snapshots), I did my own system to keep the layout perfectly smooth, because for some reasons the available animation modules, kill the real time.
    I’ll do a video soon.

[attachment file=”neogeo_1.png”]

[attachment file=”neogeo_2.png”]

Anonymous
    Inactive

This looks amazing!
    How difficult is it to set up?

momaw27
    Participant

Man, no kidding! This looks amazing!

I wonder if you made an image of your SD card, we would be able to burn it to ours?

tipoto
    Participant

I did a quick video to show Attract-Mode on my Raspberry Pi 2.
    I don’t have a video capture card so I had to do it with my DSLR camera and the quality is not as good or course and it’s recored in 24 fps only, so it doesn’t really do justice to how it runs in real.

https://youtu.be/ZNVuFV9mfZA

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had no idea the Pi was capable of this, thanks for the video.

dankcushions
    Participant

just to keep everyone updated, there’s a feature request to get this front-end added to retropie – https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/issues/1071

if you have any compilation/set up instructions (especially if you’re running it on top of retropie), it’ll probably help them out to add to that issue :)

mowki
    Participant

[quote=109101]I did a quick video to show Attract-Mode on my Raspberry Pi 2.
    I don’t have a video capture card so I had to do it with my DSLR camera and the quality is not as good or course and it’s recored in 24 fps only, so it doesn’t really do justice to how it runs in real.[/quote]

This looks awesome, nice job!

I want to do something like this (ie run Attract-Mode on top of RetroPie instead of EmulationStation), but I have no idea where to start (it probably doesn’t help that I have next to no experience with Linux). Using the RetroPie image available for download on this site, I then compiled Attract-Mode according to the instructions I found here, and now I’m not entirely sure what I’m supposed to do next. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you very much.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.