Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,

I am using composite video-out with my raspberry pi and for some reason when I am in emulation station and any emulator the resolution is too big. Using hdmi is not an option, as I am using a mini-screen. I have tried launching emulationstation with the commands -h and -w with the correct resolution values but that does not help. The system resolution is fine, the console works great, but when I launch emulationstation the resolution is too large.

Thanks for your help,
    CrispyFri

zoot
    Participant

This is configurable in raspi-config, isn’t it?

crispyfri
    Participant

Yes you can configure resolution through raspi-config, however I have the correct resolution set and the console/shell resolution works perfectly. The problem is once I launch emulationstation or any emulation at all, the resolution becomes incorrect.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I guess that you need to edit /home/pi/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg. Change all the lines with “runcommand.sh 1 …” to “runcommand.sh 2 …”.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The problem with “runcommand.sh 1” to “runcommand.sh 2” is that is kills the speed. NES games, for example, run S…L…O…W…

Anyone know of a way to get proper 4:3 resolution without sacrificing performance?

smartroad
    Participant

I am having the same issue. Changing to runcommand 2 doesnt slow mine down but it also doesnt change the resolution.

As before the console is displaying at the right resolution it is just that ES and the games all end up with the edges off screen

crispyfri
    Participant

Yes this is exactly what I am experiencing, very frustrating. I hope someone finds a solution.

smartroad
    Participant

I even tried manually starting ES with the -w-h settings but alll it does is start off the screen in the top left and leave huge blank spaces right and bottom.

If I try to setup overscan compensation in the boot/config.txt ES wont even load just hangs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ahhh…I see. You guys are discussing composite. I’m using HDMI, and while “runcommand 2” does change the resolution, it kills performance. The mystery around “runcommand” is continues…

petrockblog
    Keymaster

It is not a mystery, see https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/blob/master/supplementary/runcommand.sh.

What run command actually does, is to change the TV’s resolution to VGA. While this generally increases performance a lot, this leads to some issues in certain cases.

smartroad
    Participant

I part solved the mystery on my TV. The TV itself was cropping the image as well, once I turned that off the emulators play using most of the screen. There is still a little cut-off but nothing that now impeads gameplay.

It would still be great to find out why ES and RetroArch do not follow the overscan settings though as my solution is more of a workaround rather than a fix.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.