Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie use controller only in retropie, no keyboard??

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    noobee
    Participant

i have a controller (saitek – art.no.: pp21) that works fine with my roms. but is there a solution to use the controller instead of the keyboard? at the startscreen i need ne keyboard to choose the right system (sega, nintendo …). the controller doesn’t work at the startscreen :(

choccyhobnob
    Participant

pull up the main menu in emulationstation and select configure input and it will start the configure controller process.

noobee
    Participant

i have done that before. and after a reboot i have to use the keyboard cause the controller doesn’t work. it still works in the games, but not at start :(

noobee
    Participant

no ideas anymore ? :(

petrockblog
    Keymaster

if you exit emulationstation with f4, then wait and launch it again does it work ? (after configuring it and rebooting)

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Also are you using retropie 3.0rc1 ?

noobee
    Participant

yes, using retropie-v3.0rc1-rpi2.
    i dont’t understand it. the controller works everywhere. when i setup the controller, it realizes all buttons. start, select, up, down, … and i can play all games with it.
    but the “console-select-screen” hates my controller. there is only keyboard allowed :(
    new controller setup doesn’t work. controller setup and rebot doesn’t work, too.
    always same prob, no controller @ “console-select-screen”

herbfargus

It could have something to do with it not registering the characters of your gamepad Id properly in emulationstation- when I run my virtual gamepad as an app and try and configure it with emulationstation it shows up with text characters emulation station can’t reconcile so it just doesn’t work, but idk- it could be something else entirely.

noobee
    Participant

is there another way to configure the controller? or why are the characters of my controller “not registered” ?
    it seems, that it is a problem with emulationstation only. the emulators/consoles accept the controller…
    maybe there is a way to copy the config from any emuator where the controller is working tho the path, where emulationstation reads the config file for the controller? u know what i mean?

herbfargus

there is a file called es_input.cfg that can be added manually (file path is /home/pi/.emulationstation I believe.):

This is for an xbox controller and a keyboard

You just have to modify the device name and buttons to match your own controller. you can type lsusb to see what your devicename is

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <inputList>
        <inputConfig type="keyboard" />
        <inputConfig type="joystick" deviceName="Xbox Gamepad (userspace driver)">
            <input name="a" type="button" id="4" value="1" />
            <input name="b" type="button" id="5" value="1" />
            <input name="down" type="button" id="1" value="1" />
            <input name="left" type="button" id="2" value="1" />
            <input name="menu" type="button" id="13" value="1" />
            <input name="pagedown" type="button" id="11" value="1" />
            <input name="pageup" type="button" id="10" value="1" />
            <input name="right" type="button" id="3" value="1" />
            <input name="select" type="button" id="8" value="1" />
            <input name="up" type="button" id="0" value="1" />
        </inputConfig>
        <inputConfig type="keyboard">
            <input name="a" type="key" id="13" value="1" />
            <input name="b" type="key" id="8" value="1" />
            <input name="down" type="key" id="274" value="1" />
            <input name="left" type="key" id="276" value="1" />
            <input name="menu" type="key" id="109" value="1" />
            <input name="pagedown" type="key" id="281" value="1" />
            <input name="pageup" type="key" id="280" value="1" />
            <input name="right" type="key" id="275" value="1" />
            <input name="select" type="key" id="108" value="1" />
            <input name="up" type="key" id="273" value="1" />
        </inputConfig>
    </inputList>
    noobee
    Participant

yeah, thats it. in the es_input.cfg the controller was missing. only the keyboard was entered.
    to get a “clean” .cfg I decided to reinstall retropie – but this time WITHOUT a keyboard. and have a look – now the startscreen can be controlled by the controller :)
    maybe I will add the keyboard later.

btw: the “es_input.cfg” is stored in /home/pi/.emulationstation

THX 4 help

herbfargus

Ah thanks for the clarification- I didn’t have access to my pi so I wasn’t sure on the filepath. I’ve ammended my post. Glad you got it sorted!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.