Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! USB Rom Service No Longer Working.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    stuartfox
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I’m a bit stuck, so everything was working well, and I’d been adding games via a USB stick using the USB Rom service in Retropie. After one restart, Retropie wouldn’t start, there was a permissions error in one of the roms, it went into a startup look that I couldn’t get out of and I couldn’t even get into console. So I started from scratch on the latest Retropie image, did my customisations, everything works… but then I plug a freshly formatted USB stick, leave it a minute, but no directory structure has been added.

I went into Retropie setup, turned the rom service off, then on again… but still not working. Any ideas?

Stuart

petrockblog
    Keymaster

read the documentation:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/How-to-get-ROMs-on-the-SD-card

Starting with RetroPie 3.0 you first need to create a folder called retropie on your USB stick and then follow the above steps.

stuartfox
    Participant

Thanks, I was aware of that but I forgot to do it on one of the sticks I was using so there were two issues.

I’ve now run into this a second time, reboot loop that I can’t get out of : I’ve enclosed a screenshot. Seems to be caused by a permissions error in Roms directory after using usb transfer service.

stuartfox
    Participant

Sorry… Better pic…

petrockblog
    Keymaster

check the permissions of the folder/file in question via ssh

ls -la

the usm rom service script chowns the files correctly, so I can only think it is due to the directories/files having no read access despite being owned by the user (unless it was caused by something else).

files should be

chmod 644

and the romdirs

chmod 755

petrockblog
    Keymaster

you can get out of the loop by pressing a button on a keyboard btw – to drop to a terminal.

stuartfox
    Participant

In this case, both times this has happened I’ve been unable to get out of the loop using the keyboard. The only way is to wipe the ad card and restore from my image backup.

If it happens again I suppose I could plug the sd card into another Linux machine and try to fix the permissions like that, but I think this happens when something goes wrong with the sub rom transfer. Is there a way of knowing when it’s finished transferring files so it’s safe to reboot.

Many thanks for the support by the way.

herbfargus

I vaguely remember something like this happening with mine and I think it ended up being a corrupt usb stick/ sd card

petrockblog
    Keymaster

No way of telling unless you have a light on your USB stick or something.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Well, visually at least. You can check the end of /var/log/syslog to see when it completes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.