Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Is there anything that I should look out for or has broken since the 3.0 release? I read the patch notes but I didn’t get a feel if there were any problems. Or if it is even worth the effort to upgrade. Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you have spent a lot of time tweaking the settings for your use I’d say it’s not worth the effort. I wish there was a better way to update than starting with a fresh image every time.

herbfargus

You can upgrade without starting from a fresh image, but depending on how much has changed with the systems and the paths, some things may need some manual tweaking.

see
    https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Updating-RetroPie

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks! I really havent messed around all that much but I usually dont update from a stable release unless it seems to be worth it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just tried following the instructions on the link that herbfargus gave, but it did not keep any of my settings or adjustments. It did not even keep the controllers I had configured. Good thing I made a backup first. Please, anyone thinking of updating their retropie don’t it if you have made any changes at all. You may as well start with a new image and start over.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Please be more specific regarding what tweaks were overwritten. When updating:

no retroarch.cfg are touched
    no retroarch joypads are removed – but ES controller config is reset – I need to fix this.

If you can tell me a specific config that was overwritten I can check/advise.
    Also which version did you update from ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I only looked at it long enough to see that it reset everything instead of simply updating, but I did notice these things.

1. I lost all previously configured controllers (I’m assuming I would have to go through the whole process again of configuring my 8bitdo bluetooth controller)
    2. Unused emulators were added back to the home screen
    3. Emulator specific configs (ie shaders etc) were overwritten with defaults

I’m not sure if this is the case, but suspect it is, that it also removed Kodi and my lirc settings which allowed me to use a ir remote control. It is not worth “updating” if I have to reconfigure every little thing that I have changed to get it the way I want it.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

1. it resets the ES configuration. retropie configs don’t get wiped – this will be sorted.

2. probably because you edited /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg – if you want to customise it you should copy it to ~/.emulationstation and your custom one will never be touched (you may have to manually update it from the /etc/emulationstation file though though as needed)

3. shader configs are stored in retroarch.cfg files and they are not overwritten – unless you were on an old retropie-setup and you forgot to update the retropie-setup script before doing a full binary install.

Kodi is not removed nor are lirc settings.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.