Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie Trouble enabling USB Controllers in Emulation Station

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    zznoisesc
    Participant

Hi All,

Love to get some help here as I feel like I’ve plowed hours into getting my controllers working. I have 2 genuine SNES controllers that are connecting via a USB adapter such as this:

The controllers are detected and usable in Retropie-Setup and any similar GUI menus but aren’t detected via Emulation Station or RetroArch. I’ve tried using all available drivers in RetroArch to no avail. Details:

Pi Model: 2
    RetroPie Version Used: 3.6
    Built From: Binary

Config zip file is here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=38328388345365941902

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

meneerjansen
    Participant

May depend on the emulator you’re using to play (SNES?) games. In some emulators I still have to set up my controller via the setup menu of the emulator itself.

Can you give an example of a game and emulator (read: console) that doesn’t work?

zznoisesc
    Participant

It seems like it does depend on the emulator. The default emulator for SNES games seems to be lr-snes9x-next, which doesn’t detect the controller at all. As a test I switched the emulator to snes9x and for the most part the controller works save some button mappings (start and select don’t work). So I guess the question becomes:

How do I enable the controller both in Emulation Station (when I try to map controllers it doesn’t detect the controller at all) as well as in lr-snes9x-next. My suspicion is that solving in one will solve for everything. Thanks so much for responding with that little hint.

meneerjansen
    Participant

This RetroPie webpage should explain how to setup controllers for the various SNES emulators. They appear not to have an “in game” menu (like Mame when you press TAB on the keyboard).

If I were you I’d choose an emu that “obeys” the standard key mappings which on my Pi 1 are:

Select+B       | Reset (avoid!)
    Select+R2      | Save!
    Select+L2      | Load
    Select+Right   | State slot
                   |   increase
    Select+Left    | State slot
                   |    decrease
    Select+X       | Retroarch menu
    _______________|____________________

Some emulators exit when I press ‘Start’ or don’t start at all w/ certain ROMs. I have to fiddle w/ emulators for each game. Select your emu of choice by pressing left/right a lot when the emu starts up. You see a dialog screen then which lets you select an emulator of choice.

Good luck! :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.