Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie Teensy controller – manually write controller config file

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    rasmushauschild
    Participant

Hi, I have made a custom gamepad/controller using an Arduino type called Teensy. For some reason The auto-controller-configuration in retropie does not save my configuration-file in the /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads directory. Therefore I would like, to write the file manually. How do I do this? Do I just edit one of the pre-configured controller files to the right name, button-numbers and hotkeys?
    Thanks

Floob

Does the jstest output tell you the button mappings?

Is it like this?
    http://www.instructables.com/id/SNES-Teensy-USBPS3-Gamepad/

rasmushauschild
    Participant

Hi.
    The jstest displays all the buttons and analog axes and their number/mapping.
    Yes, the teensy board that i’m using is just the same as in that toturial. However I didn’t write my script in HEX, but in the Arduino IDE. Also my controller has been made from parts, if that makes any difference :)
    Tank you in advance

Floob

Here is an example file that should be placed here:
    /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=vYP9xSeF

You can get the input_device value by looking at the “iproduct” value.
    use “lsusb -v”
    Or for a specific device, like this
    “sudo lsusb -D /dev/bus/usb/001/004”

because mine is the 4th device on the usb bus

Anyway… not sure if it will work but you can try.

rasmushauschild
    Participant

Hi again. To get the iproduct value, should I just try to type lsusb -v in the home directory? The file that you’re linking to is the USBGamepad.cfg in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads right?
    If so, I only see “code” for one directional control, and my gamepad has both an analog thumbstick and a controll cross. I believe, that the axes up, down, left and right in the USBGamepad.cfg file are for a control cross? Can I add an analog thumbstick to the USBGamepad.cfg file? If so, then how?
    Thanks

Floob

To test the principle lets just try the buttons first.

whats your output when you type lsusb ?

rasmushauschild
    Participant

Sure :)
    When i type lsusb with the Teensy gamepad plugged in it says:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 413c:2107 Dell Computer Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 16c0:0487 VOTI Teensyduino Serial+Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick

The Bus 001 Device 005 is my gamepad
    Also I think I might know why retroarch won’t save the controller config-file. Could it be because the name of the gamepad (TeensyduinoSerial/Keyboard/Mouse/Joystick) includes “/”? I think that Retroarch gets confused, and thinks that the name of my gamepad is a directory. However in the output, when I type lsusb, all “/” are replaced by “+”.
    What do you think, could this be the reason why Retrach doesn’t save my gamepad config-file?
    Thank you in adavnce

Floob

Ok, now try

“sudo lsusb -D /dev/bus/usb/001/005″

and look for the iProduct value.

And can you screenshot the jstest output as well?

rasmushauschild
    Participant

The iProduct “value” is: 2 Serial/Keyboard/Mouse/Joystick
    the Jstes is almost unreadeble on my Mac, so I also took picture of the screen with the raspberry pi. I’ll upload both. Also when I move the thumbstick all the text and values scroll down the screen – not like the jstest I can do with my SNES USB gamepad.

Also in my last post I wrote: Could it be because the name of the gamepad (TeensyduinoSerial/Keyboard/Mouse/Joystick) includes “/”? I think that Retroarch gets confused, and thinks that the name of my gamepad is a directory. However in the output, when I type lsusb, all “/” are replaced by “+”.
    What do you think, could this be the reason why Retrach doesn’t save my gamepad config-file?

Do you have any idea if this could be the case?
    Thanks

rasmushauschild
    Participant

Hi, it seems like I can’t upload any images to this forum…
    I have uploaded both images of the jstest on my own website: http://minifactory.dk/test.html
    sorry for the delay :)

Floob

You could put this file in:
    /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads

I think you can call it anything – try “joypadtest.cfg”
    It may well need a different driver name

input_device = "2 Serial/Keyboard/Mouse/Joystick"
    input_driver = "udev"
    input_up_axis = "-1"
    input_right_axis = "+0"
    input_down_axis = "+1"
    input_left_axis = "-0"
    input_a_btn = "13"
    input_b_btn = "14"
    input_x_btn = "15"
    input_y_btn = "999"
    input_l_btn = "3"
    input_r_btn = "4"
    input_start_btn = "7"
    input_exit_emulator_btn = "7"
    input_select_btn = "6"
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = "6"

Although this implies you may be better outputting keyboard keys from the Teensy:
    https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58901

What you want is yellow text at the bottom of the screen when you start a retroarch based game, indicating it has found the joypad.

Yes, you could be right about the / marks in the name – do you have a file here?
    /home/pi/.emulationstation/es_temporaryinput.cfg ?

rasmushauschild
    Participant

Hi, I’ll try that config-file tomorrow.
    Thank you so much, for putting this much effort into helping me out! :)

A very important thing for me is to have a full analog thumbstick, since I love n64 games. And I don’t think you can have that, if the Teensy is programmed as a keyboard, but I might be wrong?
    In the directory “/home/pi/.emulationstation/es_temporaryinput.cfg” there is a configuration-file for my keyboard. i’ve posted a picture of the file here: http://minifactory.dk/test.html
    Thanks again :)

Floob

Maybe tomorrow unplug your keyboard and boot into ES again – then re-post that temp file as it should catch the teensy settings then.

rasmushauschild
    Participant

Sure, thanks

rasmushauschild
    Participant

Hi, I tried to create the new “joypadtest” in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads. At first it didn’t work, but I then changed the iproduct/name to the one shown in jstest, and it worked! I got the yellow text, and my gamepad was fully functional in any retroarch game! Now the only thing left to do is to get the analog thumbstick to work. Could I just copy-paste the part, coding for the analog joypad from another config-file in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads?

Now it’s the teensy, that is in the “/home/pi/.emulationstation/es_temporaryinput.cfg”.
    Here’s the new picture: http://minifactory.dk/test.html
    You’ll see, that it has only 2 analog axes from the thumbstick, this is because it wont let me register both up and down or left and right in emulationstation, however in the retroarch controller setup/configuration it will sometimes accept all directions.
    Thanks

rasmushauschild
    Participant

Hi, So I actually got the thumbstick working, by copying and pasting the analog thumbstick code from a PS3 controller-config file. But when I try to walk around in super mario 64 he’s walking so slow. I think this is because my thumbstick is the same as you would find I a PSP (it’s very small compared to a regular thumbstick).
    So how can I change the code, so retroarch knows the max value of the thumbstick (so that when I press it all the way the forward Mario will run (as if played with an original n64 gamepad) instead of walking very slow.
    Thanks

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.