Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    brooksyx
    Participant

So about a year ago I set up a RetroPie build inside of a SNES and it is still working great. I mainly use it to play SNES and most games run good but there are a few issues. Anyways I have been searching the last couple days and it doesn’t sound like any of the SNES emulators have been updated in the past year.

So have there been any updates recently?

brooksyx
    Participant

Looks like I found a fork of pocket snes with some recent commits:

https://github.com/rmaz/ARMSNES-libretro

Think I will try to build this from source tonight and update the emulator core with this version. Commit notes state better compatibility and performance.

brooksyx
    Participant

I compiled the source of forked PocketSnes core and I must say it works much better! Sound is better in a lot of games along with speed.

If anyone is interested here is the latest version. Just overwrite the file located at ~/RetroPie/emulatorcores/pocketsnes-libretro/libretro.so

I would suggest making a backup of the current libretro.so just in case.

edit: looks like there is some issues with square games. Chrono Trigger and FFIII (us version) both crash after winning a battle.

gizmo98
    Participant

Sounds excellent.

kitchuk
    Participant

Sound is better with ARMSNES but there are still some compatibility issues with PAL games and generally with others. If the developer can iron out these issue and fix a couple of other bug (on github) then this imo will be the best Snes emulator on the Pi.

brooksyx
    Participant

[quote=69551]Sound is better with ARMSNES but there are still some compatibility issues with PAL games and generally with others. If the developer can iron out these issue and fix a couple of other bug (on github) then this imo will be the best Snes emulator on the Pi.[/quote]

Yes, I would agree sound is much better with this version. Also FYI this a fork of pocketsnes that is included in RetroPie, the ARMSNES is just the name of the repository. I wish there was more interest in developing a good SNES emulator for the raspberry pi. Seems like currently the main interst is mupen64, which is awesome but I don’t ever see it running 100% on the pie. SNES would probably be the pinnacle emulator on the Pie. I specifically put my Pie in a dead snes shell.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.