Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project .srm file created/updated, but game will not load it

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    zmurah
    Participant

I’ve scurried every single form I have come across regarding this, but I can’t seem to find a solution.

Playing SNES – Super Mario World. System creates/updates a .srm file in the SNES ROM folder; however, the system never loads it. It always starts at the very beginning every single time and shows no save data has been recorded. Except for the file modified date does get updated so I am completely confused.

I don’t want to use the savestate option, I want to get the OE version of saving working correctly. I’ve updated the permissions in retro-config (didn’t solve the problem), changed savestate_auto_save & savestate_auto_load options to true (also didn’t solve the problem).

I do a clean-exit overtime (tried via Esc key and hotkey (Select + Start buttons) methods and it doesn’t make a difference either way.

Has anyone had this problem before and found a solution?

vmax192
    Participant

Hello,

i have a similar problem, retroarch games don’t save while others saves (gpsp, psx). i tried to change permissions in the roms folder but it’s not working.

what should i do ?

edit :

rectification, if i quit retroarch it creates the srm save file but when i restart the game it dont load it.

vmax192
    Participant

i found it ! you just have to make sure the configuration file have this option:

autosave_interval = 5

where five is the intervale in second for saving files on card

worked for me

zmurah
    Participant

I tried the autosave_interval = 5; however, that didn’t work for me. It’s like the game saves the .srm file once in the very beginning, and that’s it.

When you changed the autosave_interval = to five, did you removed the comment out hastag or leave it in?

Floob

It might be worth checking the permissions set on your .srm file (as well as checking it has the same filename as the rom).
    Check the datestamp on it, so you know it is being written to recently.

Does this help at all?

zmurah
    Participant

I have checked the timestamp on the .srm file and it is being updated with the most current save, which doesn’t make sense to me why the system is not loading it. I checked the permissions on the .srm file using Cyberduck (since I’m on a Mac) and they are set for read/write for user and group.

I just tried a different system – Sonic the Hedgehog 3 on SEGA Genesis and it saved without any issues. Would a different SNES emulator change things possibly? I’m going try that route and report back to what I found.

Floob

I’d stick with the default pocketsnes (I’m saying that as it works fine for me)

Which user is the owner of the .srm file in question – it should be pi, which I imagine is the owner of the roms/srm in the genesis folder.

With Super Mario World, I think you have to get at least the first checkpoint for it to be a loadable save? When you fire it back up are you saying that all 3 save slots are blank?

zmurah
    Participant

Floob, I believe you are correct sir with Super Mari World. I just read that you have to beat a castle in order for it to save. I never owned an actual SNES console and played Super Mario World cartridge style to know that information. Since the other emulators are saving correctly you’re probably right.

The slots aren’t “empty” They actually show a yellow 0 (I’m assuming percentage completed of the game). That stays there so I assume the system is doing what it’s suppose to be doing.

Thank you for all your input and guidance. I really appreciate it. Once I have the time to beat the first castle I’ll know for sure.

dubspecter
    Participant

Was playing like chrono trigger for a couple hours, saved , exited, .srm fil is there permissions are ok on it, but when i start the game again it starts like there is no saved game…

Floob

Thats odd, if the permissions are the correct (i.e. user pi is owner and group), and the .srm is named the same as the rom, I cant see why that wouldnt get loaded with it.

Are you using the default pocketnes in libretro?

dubspecter
    Participant

i guess cuz i used the retropie 2.4 image

Floob

Have you resized the card? Just checking there was enough space to save the srm bigger than 0 bytes?

dubspecter
    Participant

Yes i didnit works with other games but nit this one…. I downloaded another rom ill try to see but yeah…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.