Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    rdhanded2
    Participant

I have a newly imaged sd card with 3.2.1 installed. I had done nothing to it, but when I turned it on there was no splash screen. I expanded the files system and updated the image and still no splash. I went into splash screen configuration and made sure custom splash screen was enabled and still no splash. I chose default and nothing and I loaded a custom one and chose it and still nothing. Any ideas as how it could be tuned off outside the splash menu?

Dinofly
    Participant

I have the same issue… did you manage to find a solution ?
    My display is a 19″ LCD with 1280×1024 resolution, maybe it has something to do with that ? Do i have to choose a splashscreen image that has the exact same dimensions ?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

it was a bug that was fixed a few days ago. update retropie-setup script, and then go to splashscreens configuration, and update splashscreens

Dinofly
    Participant

Well i do that almost every day hoping that it would solve my issue but i’ll try that again tonight, thanks.

Dinofly
    Participant

It still doesn’t show the splashscreen after updating the setup script and the list of splashscreens… i don’t know what to do next :-/

petrockblog
    Keymaster

which splashscreen ? post the contents of /etc/splashscreen.list (can see it via option 6 of splashscreen configuration – manually edit splashscreen list)

petrockblog
    Keymaster

also from a terminal please post the output of

md5sum /etc/init.d/asplashscreen

Dinofly
    Participant
    pi@retropie ~ $ cat /etc/splashscreen.list
    /opt/retropie/supplementary/splashscreen/retropie2015-blue-4to3/splashscreen.png

I checked that the file exists:

pi@retropie ~ $ file /opt/retropie/supplementary/splashscreen/retropie2015-blue-4to3/splashscreen.png
    /opt/retropie/supplementary/splashscreen/retropie2015-blue-4to3/splashscreen.png: PNG image data, 1350 x 1080, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
    pi@retropie ~ $ md5sum /etc/init.d/asplashscreen
    7f6e46c67a78c8ee260a51ada28e8e90  /etc/init.d/asplashscreen
    petrockblog
    Keymaster

everything looks in order.

from a terminal (directly on the rpi rather than via ssh) does the following work ?

fbi -l /etc/splashscreen.list

Dinofly
    Participant

It shows the image properly, in fullscreen.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

do you get any errors logged at startup? have you adjusted any kernel or boot parameters ?

You have raspi-config set to boot to terminal not into X?

also try

insserv -r asplashscreen
    insserv asplashscreen

Dinofly
    Participant

I don’t see any error at boot, but the text is really fast so maybe i’m missing something.
    Here is my full /boot/config.txt with not so much changes from the default: http://pastebin.com/6j0enptY
    The only line i edited myself is the avoid_safe_mode one, for the GPIO adapter.

I tried typing the commands you gave me, it didn’t solve the issue :-/

Thanks for helping me !

petrockblog
    Keymaster

avoid_safe_mode is not needed and is removed from current firmwares.

you’ve not changed anything else ? no changes to /boot/cmdline.txt ? No other changes that could affect it ? can’t think why it isn’t working I’m afraid, you might need to try a fresh image and copy your configs over.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

and disabling overclock just to make sure it’s not causing fbi to crash when booting or something (if it’s not a stable overclock for example).

Dinofly
    Participant

I didn’t change anything to /boot/cmdline.txt.
    Removing the overclock doesn’t fix the issue either…

OK i think i’ll reinstall everything, since i’m having issues with the GPIO Adapter / SNESDev too. I’ll start on a fresh Raspbian Jessie and use the setup script, instead of upgrading to Jessie after installing from the SD image.

herbfargus

Jessie is not fully supported so you will likely run into issues.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

You had upgraded to Jessie ? You should have mentioned that. Please don’t use Jessie just yet – especially if you will have any difficulties debugging issues.

Splashscreen does work on Jessie, but boot settings in raspi-config need changing. Also if you upgrade to Jessie there are other things that could change that need sorting.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Just to re-iterate – when reporting problems please give all information. Especially if doing major changes like upgrading a distribution. I need this information to advise – if not it is a massive waste of my time :(

Dinofly
    Participant

Oh i didn’t realize that Jessie wasn’t officially supported, i’m sorry. I upgraded to get the Wii U Pro Controller support, as shown on the wiki. This page recommends upgrading to Jessie without putting any warning on the lack of support for this operation: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-Wii-U-Pro-controller

Even now that i know Jessie is not officially supported, i can’t find this information on the wiki. So i thought that everyone was using the latest Raspbian with the setup script, just like me.

Sorry again for not mentioning this. I’ll reinstall the official image.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

The wiki is user editable, and the Wii U Pro page is a user contributed page – I guess Jessie is working ok for them currently. Jessie is mentioned in the main README.md https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/blob/master/README.md

Dinofly
    Participant

I was so focused on the wiki that i missed the main README file, my bad :)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.