Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Hi guys just having a small issue here, I have just updated the retropie setup script from an old version to allow me to change themes etc but now on start-up my splashscreen no longer appears and the line of code says file not found or something along those lines, and looks like startup is still looking for the old folder of home/pi and not the newer opt/retropie. Is this an easy fix or have I gone about something the wrong way here.

Thanks

rdhanded2
    Participant

I am having the same issue. Happened as soon as I ran up updater. I posted already but have not heard anything yet.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

from which version ?

Did you reconfigure the splashscreen from the splashscreen settings in retropie-setup ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not sure on the version think it was from may this year, I did go through the retropie setup menu from ES, but this happened after I ran update setup script then did a re start and apon load up no more splash screen and you can see (very quickly) in the code that it couldn’t find the splash screen to load

petrockblog
    Keymaster

You didn’t answer my question – Did you reconfigure the splashscreen from the splashscreen settings in retropie-setup ? If you have updated from a version prior to some splashscreen changes you will need to reconfigure it.

menu 3 in retropie-setup – Configure Splashscreen, then choose a splashscreen.

herbfargus

There is also an option in the retropie menu in emulationstation to reconfigure your splashscreen.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/splashscreen

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=111356]You didn’t answer my question – Did you reconfigure the splashscreen from the splashscreen settings in retropie-setup ? If you have updated from a version prior to some splashscreen changes you will need to reconfigure it.

menu 3 in retropie-setup – Configure Splashscreen, then choose a splashscreen.

[/quote]

Not as far as I know I updated the setup script, then when I didn’t see the splash screen went back into retropie setup, then splash screen option hit update splash screens then chose one from the list and restarted again with no luck. Sounds like I need to set it up after updating it then? How would I go about that, I’d say that’s why it’s still trying to grab the old splash screen directory.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

If you have gone into the splashscreen module, it should have installed the new version of the splashscreen script. However if you updated from a beta version (which matches the date you gave), something may not worked right.

what do you have in /etc/splashscreen.list ? (can see it by using the “Manually edit splashscreen” option)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pretty sure it’s /home/pi/retropie and I think the new version should be opt/retropie or something like that, thatd what got me thinking I havnt done something right here, it’s looking for the wrong folder and coming up empty since the update.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I’m not after what you think it is – I’d like you to check please and give me the exact contents of the file. If you have chosen a new splashscreen using the splashscreen configuration it should update the contents of this file.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry it’s opt/retropie/supplementary/splashscreen/8-bit-dragonberry/8bit-dragonberry.png

petrockblog
    Keymaster

opt/retropie/supplementary/splashscreen/8-bit-dragonberry/8bit-dragonberry.png

or

/opt/retropie/supplementary/splashscreen/8-bit-dragonberry/8bit-dragonberry.png

?

from a terminal please can you paste the output from

ls -l /opt/retropie/supplementary/splashscreen/8-bit-dragonberry/8bit-dragonberry.png
    ls -l /etc/init.d/asplashscreen

did you try disabling the splashscreen and re-enabling from the splashscreen options ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry that was meant to be a /opt/retropie
    I did try disabling and re enabling as well as use default.

Console showed this:

[attachment file=”DSC_0816.JPG”]

petrockblog
    Keymaster

then unfortunately everything looks correct. The init.d script is the correct size, the splashscreen.list points to an existing splashscreen, and you have made sure the splashscreen is enabled.

If you could show me the error you said it printed on startup that might help. Otherwise I can only recommend testing with a new image (and backing up your configs first)

the only other thing that affects the splashscreen that I know of is if the system is set to boot into the desktop/graphical environment (if it has been installed), this can cause X to trigger before the splashscreen so you get a black screen.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok thanks for your help, ill try n get the error msg but it goes so quick. think I might just get the latest image and transfer my configs over and roms etc.I got this unit off a mate so just playing around with it and trying to set it up nicely for myself.

kahnindustries
    Participant

I am seeing the same thing after updating

Path points at the file mentioned above and file exists

I am just looking for the error entry now as well

kahnindustries
    Participant

I cant see the splash screen attempt, i selected enabled, maybe it hasnt stuck?

[snip removed log[

rdhanded2
    Participant

I am having the issue after a clean install of 3.2.1 and then just updating the retropie setup script. I can choose the splash screens from the retropie options menu but they do not show. I can add my own and select it but it does not show. I updated the splash screens but nothing. I made sure it was enabled as well. I disabled it and restarted then enabled it again and restarted. Still no splash screen.

Again, this was all after a clean install of 3.2.1 and an update. That is all that was done to the image.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Please don’t post large logs directly here – use a site like pastebin etc.

I can’t see an error in that log – if there is an error displayed please post the error. I need some more info to go on as I am unable to reproduce the issue here.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

also make sure none of you have removed the “fbi” tool after setting up a splashscreen.

rdhanded2
    Participant

I am not sure what the fbi tool is but even the default splash screen did not display before I even touched anything other than updating the script.

rdhanded2
    Participant

I have several extra sd cards. I am going to do another clean install on a new one. I will test the splash screen before and after I update the setup script.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I found an error in the splashscreen script which was introduced the other day which broke splash pictures – sorry I missed this. if you update retropie-setup and then choose to update the splashscreens it should sort it

kahnindustries
    Participant

Excellent, I have just tested and confirm that it is working now

Sorry for pasting the large log file in, I am new and didn’t realize it was bad practice

Thank you for fixing it so quick :)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Splash screens’ is closed to new topics and replies.