Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project spindown inactive/idle external hdd, ideas

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    InsecureSpike
    Participant

guy’s can someone give me a hand with this issue,
    i’m using a portable 2.5″ hard drive, with my roms on, now it’s constantly spinning, how can i set it to spin down when inactive/idle?

thanks

gizmo98
    Participant

Try to use hdparm. The command should be something like…
    sudo hdparm -S 60 /dev/sdX
    -S 60 => 5*60s = sleep after 300s

If you need a persistent modification open /etc/hdparm.conf and add something like spindown_time = 60. Google should give you more detailed information.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

awesome thanks mate

InsecureSpike
    Participant

ok gizmo98, neither of those worked, oh and had to install hdparm, had a google but not really found anything except for this..

http://forum.lemaker.org/thread-2942-1-1-.html

looking at post #5, think i’ll try this,

apt-get install hdparm

Then in a bootup bash script

hdparm -S180 /dev/disk/by-uuid/01CF0AC9AA5EAF70

my uuid is 72cf9ef3-f16b-46aa-a381-e5670e76544b, so just need to change that in the code given, oh and mabe change 180 to 60?

thanks for your help

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know for Western Digital drives, you can download WD Drive Utilities that lets you set up the sleep timer, not sure if other brands have similar software or not. I used it to disable the sleep timer on one of my drives that I use for another project.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

[quote=92525]I know for Western Digital drives, you can download WD Drive Utilities that lets you set up the sleep timer, not sure if other brands have similar software or not. I used it to disable the sleep timer on one of my drives that I use for another project.[/quote]

thats awesome! do you have any more info, please, as i’m using a WD Elements,

many thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just go here and find your drive, you will then be able to download the appropriate software if your drive works with it:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en

I see that not all of the Elements have the download, but a couple of them have a utility to set the idle options.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.