Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Specify a keyboard key combination to return to EmulationStation / reboot Pi?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    IIeBoy
    Participant

Hi, as you can see at my other thread at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1731238 I have used an Apple //e case and keyboard as my RetroPie box. The Apple has a nice “RESET” key on the far right.

Is there any way to set up keyboard key combinations to do things like:

– Return to EmulationStation menu
    – Save state
    – Load state
    – Reboot Raspberry Pi

hacha-dorada
    Participant

I am not sure about restarting the Pi (that is something outside the RetroPie capabilities) but if you dig into the RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg file (or the specific ones for the different systems), you can define buttons for the other functions. A very useful option is to set up a shortcut for the RetroArch menu, that serves to most of your needs.
    You can also map hotkeys on you joy for all these functions too.

IIeBoy
    Participant

Thanks. I added the following and it works from within most emulators. Dev, could you shed any light as to why it won’t work from the Commodore 64, MAME4All, Atari ST…? Is there something overriding them?

I have the Xbox 360 controllers. This means I press the left joystick button down, then press Y to exit to the EmulationStation menu.

input_enable_hotkey_btn = 11 
    input_exit_emulator_btn = 3

input_save_state_btn = 0

input_load_state_btn = 2

To the developer, can I suggest you make this standard please, for maximum ease of usage?

hacha-dorada
    Participant

Regarding the emulators that do not respond to hotkeys: some of the emulators in RetroPie do not use the RetroArch configurations, but exclusive config files (e.g. DGen, Osmose). You will need to check online or in the forums how to customize said emulators, or choose a different one from RetroPie to use with the specific systems you want to emulate.

Second, I don’t think there is any use in setting such shortcuts by default, as the identities of buttons depend on the controllers you are using. It is easy enough to set up your own combinations in the cfg file.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.