Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chupacabra
    Participant

So I finally downloaded and extracted the mame4all_1.0_samples.zip file, and now I am finally getting sounds in Frenzy and Berzerk. It’s about 90% complete I’d say. There is no sound, for instance, when your player is vaporized – and sometimes the shots don’t make any sound.

What I can’t figure out is this exact same ROM, running on OPENEMU on my Mac, has perfect sound with no sample directory or sample files!

Is it just that mame4all is older and doesn’t know how to create the sounds from these early Stern games and has to rely on samples? I would think that if one emulator running these ROMs can generate the sounds natively that mame4all would too.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

mame4all is based on mame code from ~15 years ago – so it’s likely since then the audio hardware has been emulated and so samples are not required.

chupacabra
    Participant

Hi Buzz,

That makes sense. It works well enough now with the samples. Frenzy is one of my all-time favorite games, so it’s nice to have sound for the most part now.

Thanks!

petrockblog
    Keymaster

if you have a rpi2 you could try it on advmame to see if it’s better.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.