Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’m new in this forum but I think I have read quite everything about hotkeys and mame emulators.
    I did some tests using:
    – Raspberry Pi B+
    – RetroPie 3.2.1 built from SD Image
    – 2 x SNES USB controllers https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/10035308/7110174/0f2fdb54-e16a-11e4-8f3d-37bdca8f1ddf.png

I tested
    – advmame 0.94 hotkeys no working
    – advmame 1.2 hotkeys no working
    – advmame 1.4 hotkeys no working
    – libreto hotkeys working but annoying copyright message asking for OK click (simulated using Left+Right click)
    – mame4all hotkeys no working
    – lr-imame4all hotkeys working, (temporary installed) keyboard not working but annoying copyright message asking for Left+Right click and after another message (CPU, screen resolution, …) asking for any key pressing

So,
    – the best working solution seems to be the libreto emulator but the copyright message could be very annoying for my children (the final users of my system).
    – the best NOT working solution seems to be the advmame or mame4all

So my questions are:
    1) is it possible to let the hotkeys working in advmame or mame4all emulators?
    2) otherwise, is it possible to get rid of copyright message in libreto or lr-imame4all emulators?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
    Giangi

My retroarch.cfg file is http://pastebin.com/raw/NSPkGRem

My USBgamepad.cfg file is

input_device = "USB gamepad           "
    input_driver = "udev"
    input_r_btn = "5"
    input_save_state_btn = "5"
    input_start_btn = "9"
    input_exit_emulator_btn = "9"
    input_l_btn = "4"
    input_load_state_btn = "4"
    input_up_axis = "-1"
    input_a_btn = "1"
    input_b_btn = "2"
    input_reset_btn = "2"
    input_down_axis = "+1"
    input_right_axis = "+0"
    input_state_slot_increase_axis = "+0"
    input_x_btn = "0"
    input_menu_toggle_btn = "0"
    input_select_btn = "8"
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = "8"
    input_y_btn = "3"
    input_left_axis = "-0"
    input_state_slot_decrease_axis = "-0"

In each emulator’s folder I have a retroarch.cfg file like this

# Settings made here will only override settings in the global retroarch.cfg if placed above the #include line

input_remapping_directory = /opt/retropie/configs/mame-advmame/
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = "8"

#include "/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg"

herbfargus

Please use pastebin for large config files, it keeps the forum cleaner and easier to read.

As far as your hotkey predicament advmame and mame4all are not libretro cores (i.e. they don’t have a retroarch config file and thus dont follow the same hotkey configurations)

Use tab on a keyboard to configure controls.

It’s in the documentation:
    https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/mame

giangi72
    Participant

First of all many thanks for your reply and sorry for the retroarch file, I just corrected the first post using pastebin

Your hint was, obviously, correct :-)
    I used the tab key and configured some keys for using the controllers.

I changed
    User Interface controls:
    – Reset
    – Load
    – Save
    Player 1 controls:
    – Start
    – Select
    Other controls:
    – 1 Player start
    – Coin 1
    and also the exit (but I don’t remember where it was)

But I still have some issues.
    After I press the save or load button I can’t choose the slot using the controller (issue not important, I can disable the load-save)
    I’m not able to insert coin normally, the only way is to press the exit button key, the continue and exit menu appears, if I press exit, the emulator correctly exit, if I press continue a coin is inserted (???????)

herbfargus

I can’t remember, but I think it may be possible to do button combinations, if not you may just need to have a controller with enough extra buttons to be your dedicated hotkeys for saving, exiting etc.

I honestly haven’t touched mame in months so take my advice with a grain of salt

giangi72
    Participant

Yes, hotkeys are possible but
    – when I press Save/Load I have to choose the slot but only using the controller it is not possible.
    – if I press the hotkey for coin nothing happen, but if I press the exit hotkey and then the Continue option a coin is inserted

giangi72
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    just a little update.
    After a lot of tests I decided to use mame4all mame emulator.
    I pressed the TAB key during the game and configured the controllers’ keys.
    Now everything seems to work correctly.
    Many thanks for your help.

p.s. do you know where my “TAB” configurations is stored?
    I would like to save it in case of reinstall

footwo
    Participant

AFAIK the configs you generate/alter in the TAB menu aren’t even human readable. Look at the default and per game config files in the mame config folder in a text editor – they contain binary information, not plain text.

I’ve been having my own nightmares with MAME since RP 3.3. For some reason I simply cannot fathom, pressing the left d-pad button on just one of my controllers turns the throttle on and speeds up the game to unplayable levels, even though ‘Throttle’ is only bound to F10 on the keyboard. Pressing right on the d-pad would alter the frame skip setting.

Only one particular controller does this (the iBuffalo SNES style pad), whereas a generic USB pad and a PS3 controller do not exhibit this behaviour.

To fix it I had to completely unmap throttle and frameskip, then I could press the directional buttons again without activating the throttle. However, I just tested on a virgin image of RP 3.3 and the pad works fine, so I’ve obviously fucked something up somewhere. OH WELL.

giangi72
    Participant

[quote=113797]

AFAIK the configs you generate/alter in the TAB menu aren’t even human readable. Look at the default and per game config files in the mame config folder in a text editor – they contain binary information, not plain text.[/quote]
    But I can save it and replace in case of reinstall, right?
    I have found it in a folder having a .cfg file for each game (??!!??).

Floob

From memory its in:
    /opt/retropie/configs/mame-libretro/cfg

The default.cfg is the main one (for all games), then you can have game specific .cfg as well if you want. If you delete the file it will be re-generated with defaults.

giangi72
    Participant

Ok,
    many thanks for your help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.