Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Snes sound issues with retropie image 1.10.1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Reinhard

I have downloaded the newest retropie image ( 1.10.1) on a empty SD card, setup my joypad and my keyboard, changed stuff in raspi-config like language (im from Germany btw), split ram, overclocked to medium and finally put some roms in the folders.

The Mega Drive ( Genesis) and Master System games plays flawlessly with no issues, what is awesome, no doubt.

The SNES Games run at full speed BUT, the sound is like garbage at the most games. It is weird to discribe, it is like the deeper sounds are tinny or scratchy or something. In Zelda 3 it starts with the rain sounds in the beginning, in SMW the fireballs sound like crap and in Final Fantasy 3 ( or 6) the melody goes real crazy.

So now my question, did I miss something. Is there a fix for that?
    My Raspberry is connectect via HDMI on my FLat TV.

Thanks for your help !

zSprawl

You need to switch from the built-in snes emulator to pisnes. It is an older emulator, so some newer games like SF2-Alpha and Mario RPG won’t work, but it is fantastic for fixing the sound.

Download the latest and install over top of what exists:

cd RetroPie/emulators/pisnes
    wget http://pisnes.googlecode.com/git/pisnes.zip
    unzip pisnes.zip
    chmod 777 ./snes9x ./snes9x.cfg ./roms ./skins

Then you will need to edit ~/.emulationstation/es_system.cfg to use pisnes. Scroll down to the snes section and uncomment out the pisnes command.

Reinhard

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply.

Ok, I will give this a try tommorow.
    Can I download it on my PC, unzip it, put it on my Raspberry via USB and install it from there? Or do I have to connect the Rasp. to the Internet by lan-cable to get it?

Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english and my noobish questions…
    I am really fresh to all this ^^

zSprawl

Mine is connected to the LAN, so I SSH into it to do maintenance.

Reinhard

Hy,
    i have changed it now, but when i try to start a rom it goes back to the menu and says:

sh: 1: /home/pi/retropie/emulators/pisnes/snes9x: Permission denied

What should I do now..?

zSprawl

In RetroPie/emulators/pisnes is a install.sh script. You don’t need to run it, but the last line of the script has a “chmod” command. Run that.

Reinhard

Ahhh now I get it.
    I’m not at home right now, but I will test it later.

Thank you very much. There is so much I have to learn about the PI.

I will response when I get it to work.

Again, thank you very much

Reinhard

OK i have done it so far and it works, well kinda.

I can now start a game, but after 10 sec. the screen goes black for a second.
    It looks like it lost the signal or something all 10 sec. ( the sound is gone in that sec. too).

So every 10 sec. the screen flash’s to black ( it is like you would put out the Hdmi cable and plug it in again)…

Can I change the video setting somehow. And is there a menu in pisnes like in retroarch when you press F1.

Thanks again

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.