Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Snes Roms won't load

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    slove
    Participant

Complete Noob here,

I have seen a few people with this problem around the internet, but have yet to see a real solution. When I load up a a Snes Rom it goes to a black screen and says to press a key to configure launch options and then it throws me back to the list of roms. I have changed the roms to have read/write permissions and still no luck.

Any ideas?

petrockblog
    Keymaster
    herbfargus

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/issues/946#issuecomment-130401096

Reinstall from binary and they should work. If there’s any confusion see this video:

slove
    Participant

Thanks for your replies, I followed the instructions and I couldn’t find lr-snes9x-next.The only snes related things I could find was pisnes, snes9x, lr-armsnes, lr-catsfc,lr-pocketsnes and snesdev. I tried all of these bar snesdev and I get the same problem but the black screen lingers a little longer.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I assumed you were on a rpi2 – the emulator is not available for the rpi1. Then you must have another problem – something broken in your set up. Please provide some information – eg rpi model, which image you installed and so on.

slove
    Participant
    petrockblog
    Keymaster

after launching a rom (which doesn’t work) – please check the contents of /tmp/runcommand.log and it might contain some information as to why it didn’t launch.

you can do this by connecting to the pi via ssh (eg using putty.exe on windows), and then doing

cat /tmp/runcommand.log

once you have logged in.

slove
    Participant
    02/09/2015 10:14:10.019 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.quicklook[7396]) Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook
    02/09/2015 10:14:10.394 QuickLookSatellite[7397]: CGSConnectionByID: 0 is not a valid connection ID.
    02/09/2015 10:14:10.394 QuickLookSatellite[7397]: Invalid Connection ID 0
    02/09/2015 10:14:11.256 CoreServicesUIAgent[4156]: Error -60005 creating authorization

I think this is correct but forgive me if I have pasted the wrong thing. This was after launching the rom and I don’t think any new errors were added.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

What you pasted has nothing to do with retropie :)

slove
    Participant

Hmmm well I can’t seem to find anything called runcommand.log in retropie or even the cat folder. I can see a tmp folder in retropie but no runcommand.log :(

petrockblog
    Keymaster

ok let’s go through this step by step.

Which snes emulator are you using (please choose a specific one and we will debug it from there).

We can then try it from commandline to see what is failing.

slove
    Participant

I am assuming it is snes9x as the only snes folder I have under RetroPie/roms is called “snes”.

Thanks for your patience :)

petrockblog
    Keymaster

don’t assume – check via the pre-launch menu – press keypad 0 or press a keyboard key when the screen goes black before the emulator is launched.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I guess you may not have tried other emulators if you don’t know which one is being used ?

slove
    Participant

Ah I didn’t know about that. Well I have switched it to snes9x and I have tried all of the emulators and none of them worked.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I would prefer to debug with a libretro core, so

with

lr-pocketsnes

please switch to that and try it first. then ssh in to retropie (using putty on windows or if on another system another ssh client)

and do

/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch --verbose -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-pocketsnes/libretro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/snes/retroarch.cfg ~/RetroPie/roms/snes/SNESROMNAME

putting in your game rom name etc.

and then paste me the outputted text via pastebin.com or similar

Snes emulation does work – so either your roms are bad, or your install is bad. it might be worth re-imaging and trying again too.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

It also sounds like you need to spend some time reading the wiki or watching some tutorial videos on how to use retropie – as switching emulator is one of the core features etc.

slove
    Participant

Sorry, I don’t really understand what you mean. I can find the files and folders you are talking about, but then I have no idea what I am supposed to do with them.

I will try just straight up reinstalling because I have tried several roms and none of them work.

Thanks for your help

petrockblog
    Keymaster

my instructions require typing in some commands manually into the terminal – it’s not a matter of looking for the files/folders via samba share. Unfortunately debugging this will require you to learn how to go to the commandline and type in basic commands – there are tutorials on this.

I can’t help otherwise I’m afraid – apart from recommending trying a fresh image. If it doesnt work with a fresh image, I can only thing there is something wrong with the roms you are using.

jarkokoo
    Participant

[quote=105304]

I will try just straight up reinstalling because I have tried several roms and none of them work.

[/quote]

You have tried to download roms from different outlets, right? Have you tried to launch them in some Windows emulator first? Just to be sure, that the actual roms do WORK? Then: how are the roms being named? Do they have spaces in the names, like “Super Metroid.smc”? Or do they have perioids before the suffix, like “Super.Metroid.smc”? If so, rename all of them so, that the empty space or period is replaced with “_”, like “Super_Metroid.smc”. At least for me, this was an issue with SNES roms I had.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.