Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everyone,

I’m a newcomer to the world of raspberry Pi and I’ve recently, with limited linux knowledge, started this little project of getting a SNES emulator to run on my Pi 2B with retropie.

I’ve installed all the software through the methods described here: https://supernintendopi.wordpress.com/

I have emulationstation up and running, and my ROM (In this case DonkeyKongCountry.smc) is visible. However when I try to launch it, it fades to black, as though it tries to start up the ROM, but after a few seconds I end up back on the ES ROM screen.

I’ve found the following logfiles: /tmp/runcommand.log reports:

RetroArch [ERROR] :: parse_input :: –menu was used, but content file was passed as well.
    RetroArch [ERROR] :: rarch_main_init :: Fatal error received in: “parse_input()”

~/.emulationstation/es_log.txt reports:

lvl2: req sound [basic.launch]
    lvl2: (missing)
    lvl2: Attempting to launch game…
    lvl2: /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ snes /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/snes/DKC.smc
    lvl2: Creating surface…
    lvl2: Created window successfully.
    lvl2: Added known joystick Xbox Gamepad (userspace driver) (instance ID: 0, device index: 0)
    lvl2: Added known joystick Xbox Gamepad (userspace driver) (instance ID: 0, device index: 0)

I’m quite new to all this and I can’t figure out what’s causing the ROM not to load.

Is this a known issue? Do you guys have any idea how I can fix this? I’ve tried googling around but I havn’t found anything solid that can help me out. One thing I’ve tried is Chmod 777’ing everything that is related to the SNES emulator in /opt/retropie, but that didn’t seem to fix it.

If I didn’t give enough info please let me know and i’ll replay ASAP.

If you guys could help me fix this i’d be very grateful!

Floob

The guide you have followed is pretty dated now (although it seems updated in some areas).

I would be tempted to use either 2.6 or 3 beta 4, both found in the downloads area and write that image. Can you try this?

– Download RetroPie 3 beta 4
    https://www.petrockblock.com/retropie/retropie-downloads/retropie-project-sd-card-image-for-raspberry-pi-2-beta/

– Extract the image and write it to your MicroSD with Win32DiskImager
    – Boot up the Pi, which will configure your controller.
    – Quit Emulation Station and expand the filesystem (sudo raspi-config)
    – Write your rom file across and try again?

InsecureSpike
    Participant

if after floods method don’t help, then change emulators, there after after roms that don’t run on some emu’s

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would prefer, if possible, not to use a pre-made OS, as my raspberry pi currently already runs some other applications (like ZNC) that I would not like to lose.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

You may have updated retropie-setup without updating everything else – you will need to run a full binary install, but there are some things that may require manual work if upgrading with the script. you can always just rm -rf /opt/retropie and reinstall and it should work.

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=100952]You may have updated retropie-setup without updating everything else – you will need to run a full binary install, but there are some things that may require manual work if upgrading with the script. you can always just rm -rf /opt/retropie and reinstall and it should work.

[/quote]

Hold on, Could you clarify at bit further as to what exactly you mean? Should I run an apt-get upgrade/update, remove /opt/retropie and then re-run the retropie -setup script? Is that what you mean by binary install? Should I get another binary version of retropie somewhere?

Sorry if i’m questions sound stupid, I’m learning here :p

petrockblog
    Keymaster

The original issue was a bug in recent retroarch which is now fixed. re-installing retroarch from menu 5 should resolve it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=101065]The original issue was a bug in recent retroarch which is now fixed. re-installing retroarch from menu 5 should resolve it.

[/quote]

This did indeed fix the issue!

Now I just have to deal with some DPAD issues on the XBOX controller and i’m good to go, I can probably figure that out on my own, thanks so much! :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.