Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Video Output on RetroPie SLOWNESS when HDMI not plugged in

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    supraman215
    Participant

So I’m working on a raspberry pi b+ and i’ve been using it fine with HDMI output. I’m headed on vacation and there are no HDTVs there. So I’m going to use the composite out. I finally got it working and the picture and sound are perfect.

Here’s the issue. Without an HDMI device plugged into it it’s slow and laggy. Even though there’s NO HDMI OUTPUT AT ALL. So in other words it’s very slow and choppy, as soon I plug in an HDMI monitor (even though it shows no picture and goes into standby mode) it speeds up and performs normally. I have turned the HDMI off with the tvservice application. Here is a video demonstration hopefully you can hear the sound because that tells the story.

[video src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16607248/VIDEO0015.mp4" /]

supraman215
    Participant

Also, there si a multicolored square that shows up in the top right corner of the screen when the HDMI is not plugged in.

rdhanded2
    Participant

The multi colored square means the pi is not getting enough power, which in turn is probably causing your performance issues. You need a more powerful power supply and it should correct your issues. I use a 5.5v 2a and that works great for me.

supraman215
    Participant

Issue resolved. Power was the issue. Using a 1A power supply now working fine.

I was wondering, why would plugging in the HDMI help? Then I remembered HDMI provides a little bit of power. I had an older PC and when I’d plug the HDMI from the receiver into it one of the fans would start spinning, even with the AC unplugged.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.