Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Slowness across the board mostly (retroarch NES)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    supraman215
    Participant

I have a Rpi B+. using a PS3 controller over BT. Using a 32gb sony uhs1 microSD card

Installed Raspabian then Retropie on top of that. I have a script that runs before ES starts to check for a controller if it doesn’t find one it checks till it does then allows you to continue to ES.

However performance of the machine is slow. NES emulator specifically. It’s slow and there are sound issues. Genesis isn’t quite as slow but there are still sound issues. Here are the things I have done to help improve the preformance. N64 won’t run at all, I can hear sound but I see nothing.

Changed the GPU memory settings in /etc/boot.txt tried 256, 384 no difference. Some people suggest 128 but ES doesn’t run with that.

Changed the video settings in the es_systems config to run NES games (retroarch) in mode 1 (480p). This didn’t make much of an impact.

Took out WIFI card. This seemed to work at first but it no longer has an impact on performance.

Changed the overclock settings to turbo. I did a back to back comparison with turbo and medium and there was no change in performance when using retroarch for NES.

Changed the sample rate in the retroarch config to 44100.

Changed the audio driver for retroarch to SDL. This brought up an error in retroarch and it must have reverted at runtime to the other audio driver because I still had sound but it said it couldn’t find the SDL driver.

If I could atrribute the slowdown to anything I would think it started around the time I re-installed mupenplus through the retropie setup from source.

Not sure where to go next. Thanks in advance guys. Let me know if you need any files or settings info I’ll post whatever.

Jeff

cacophony555
    Participant

What nes retroarch core are you running? Nestopia is too cpu intensive for the Pi 1, so you should Fceux instead.

Also have you verified that no other unexpected processes are consuming CPU while you run a NES game? Try telnetting to the pi while nes is running and doing a “top”.

supraman215
    Participant

stella is the NES emulator I believe? I could do a top with an SSH connection but then I have to plug in the wifi and that can cause slowdowns as well

haydendavenport2
    Participant

I’m sorry to hijack this thread but can someone please tell me how to make my own thread? Every time I try, it takes me to a page that looks like a new thread, but my posts don’t show up, and apparently no one can see the thread.

I took a screenshot too: http://imgur.com/eC7KxQ9

supraman215
    Participant

Top shows nothing running.

@haydendavenport2

go back to the previous page at the bottom.

Jeff

cacophony555
    Participant

Stella is the 2600 emulator.

supraman215
    Participant

Oh sorry. I’ll check the core. But every system is experiencing the same slowness I checked a couple TGfx16, Genesis, and SNES games. All with the same audio issues. and slowness. I may create a new image. But that is time I don’t think I want to spend again.

supraman215
    Participant

Retroarch is using the FCEUMM core. Not sure whioch one that is. I’ve got it OC’d to 1ghz. Genesis is now playing well nes is still slow.

Ok I got the speed issue solved completely. Updated overclocking setttings, will post, 2.1amp power supply. and 44100 khz sound for retroarch. I still dont’ have meupen64 completely working but that’s next step. I LOVE GoldenEye and Mario Kart!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.