Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Slowdown issues (psx, snes)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hottpockets
    Participant

I am running the latest 3.0 beta 4 image
    64gb Samsung class 10 microsd

Things I’ve done:
    expanded the partition
    changed the mem split to 128-512 (tried different options)
    overclocked to “Pi2”
    Emulators used: PCSX-R and SNES9x next

The problem I am running into is slowdown and crackling audio using the emulators above in most games. Specifically I tried Alien 3 on the snes(and many others) and Driver for PSX. Both games I have seen running at full speed on youtube videos elsewhere. When I switch to another snes emu (I think catsfc) I can reach full speed. Any suggestions? TIA!

smithers
    Participant

Are you seeing a rainbow coloured square in the top-right corner of the screen when the slowdown occurs? If so then you are having power supply issues – your Pi is not getting enough power to it when it needs it which is causing the slowdown.

As it happens, Alien 3 on the SNES is one of the specific games I use to test a power supply on the Pi! It seems to be demanding for some reason, so I know exactly what you are seeing at your end and I would imagine a power supply replacement will sort you out (and you won’t need to change it to CATSFC to work around it).

You need a genuine 2amp (minimum) power supply to prevent such power supply issues. I use a power supply called made by ‘North Pada’ and they are great. Also The Pi Hut 2amp supplies are great too and both can be bought off Amazon.

dankcushions
    Participant

that “pi2” overclock setting is also pretty aggressive. i’d suggest toning it down until you’ve got a stable system – should be able to run all snes and PSX games without major issue on a default pi2.

if you want to overclock later i’d suggest following some of the reported ‘stable’ configs here: http://linuxonflash.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/a-look-at-raspberry-pi-2-performance.html

hottpockets
    Participant

[quote=102221]Are you seeing a rainbow coloured square in the top-right corner of the screen when the slowdown occurs? If so then you are having power supply issues – your Pi is not getting enough power to it when it needs it which is causing the slowdown.
    [/quote]

You’re the man, that was it! Everything is full speed now. Agreed on Alien 3, I tried a couple of other games that ran better (but not perfect). But for some reason alien just killed it.

Thanks again!

smithers
    Participant

No probs. I had this issue myself and I was scratching my head for ages, tried all sorts of tweaks in config files then noticed the rainbow icon was appearing at the exact time of slowdown. Changed my power supply and the slowdown stopped – everything now running great!

retroaddict
    Participant

Hi,

I am having a similar issue with regards to slowdown. It is very noticeable in Super Mario Kart and Metal Slug (significantly more than the original arcade machine).

I have a 2amp Power Supply purchased from the PI-HUT but it is plugged in to an extension lead that runs all of my other A/V equipment. I also do not see the Rainbow icon.

I have tried stock and overclocked but the results are pretty much the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.