Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Ideas for Further Enhancements skip video splashscreen prompt once ES is loaded

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chito
    Participant

I don know how possible this is. it seems the code for the video splash screens can detect once ES is ready. My idea is that instead of a seamless boot (video stops once ES is ready) or a video that plays all the way through…

for example
    so say you have a video that runs for 30s
    and it take 20s to load into ES

why not have the video play and once ES is loaded in the background have a prompt appear (at 20s in this example) in the bottom right corner that says “press any key/button to skip” they way the user can enjoy the video or get right into using ES.

Also this would allow people the freedom to create videos to any length they want without trying to get the timing just right

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Sounds like a horrible waste of development time imho.

If you don’t want it to wait for your video, read https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/splashscreen

you need to remove the code that waits for omxplayer.

chito
    Participant

Ive read the wiki. like I stated before, a seamless load has issues. Making that change to the video splash screen means that your video may get cut off anywhere, every time. who knows where… you may be trying to show your friends etc… And other times i may not always want to watch the intro all the way through… especially if you’ve seen it a few times

so why not once ES is loaded give the user the option to choose… its loaded and ready “press a button to skip video” or keep watching.

whole point of having a video it is to have something nicer, more polished. And it takes a lot of effort to make one. This feature would improve the user experience as well as give more flexibility to people who create the videos as everyone has different load times

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Spend less time watching your machine boot, and play the games instead :)

You could add a keypress check in the delay loop and exit it a key pressed perhaps, but I’m not at all interested in spending time on stuff like this I’m afraid.

ronoh55
    Participant

Idk buzz. We’ve all seen your work, and I’ve seen how fast you can work. This sounds like a great idea…and I would wager it’d only take you an hour or so to do (if that!) Maybe Herb can work on it instead? You guys are running out of stuff to add anyways, so little user quality requests like this would make perfect sense to add to make this wonderful project just a little more polished.

chito
    Participant

i appreciate all the work the devs do. especially when they take the timw out of their lives to add to the community. im a senior web dev and get it. i wish i knew enough about the code base or programming to the pi to make this change myself

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.